Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

20 Day post-op question....

buckeyebackbbuckeyeback Posts: 384
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Having had a shaved disc and bone spurs removed on 2 levels (L3/4 & L4/5), when can I expect my nerves to calm down typically. They feel like they did before surgery maybe even worse currently. Those of you who have had this type of surgery (micro-d/Laminotomy) please give me some opinions based on your experiences. Thanks in advance.

• Is this normal even though I'm over 3 weeks post-op?
  • I guess no one has responded as it is a difficult one to answer. Healing is such an individual thing and there are so many variables to begin with -- the amount of nerve compression that was present prior to surgery, the length of time the nerve was compressed, how much trauma was involved in the actual surgical procedure, etc.

Some people feel relief as soon as they awaken from the anesthetic. With others, it can take a LONG time. However, I think three weeks after surgery with NO relief probably warrants at least a phone call to your surgeon. I would think you would have some changes by now. If things are getting worse, that is not the normal progression for healing.

Where are you feeling the pain? Is it in the same location and are your symptoms the same as prior to surgery?

You might want to have a new MRI to see what is going on.
  • My confusion has to do with what a read online and what my surgeon's office is telling me. They say that it could take months for nerve pain to resolve even though the surgery went "perfectly." I am also tingling in my right foot/ankle when only a bone spur shaving was supposedly done on that side. My issues pre surgery were only in my left leg. Hmmm. I could be just being impatient but I expected to feel a little better by now and not experiencing the same symptoms and having pain in different areas of the left leg and certainly not in the OTHER leg. I have my followup appointment on Monday and I'm putting together a list of questions. Maybe I should request another MRI. That's a good idea, thanks!