Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeon 3 hours away!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I seemed to have found a great neurosergon(so I hear, and see). The only down fall is that I have to travel 3 hours just to get there! Is there many of you that have had to travel to see a good doctor? My sister lives in this area( Albany, NY), and she would be a big help if I do end up having surgery.

I am just curious about this, I go to see the surgeon on the 23rd, no referral needed!

• I'm glad you can get in without a referral. That's amazing. Is he a young physician? Or did you send your MRI and he took you on? I think it's great that you got in. I haven't had to travel far for my opinions because of living in a large city. Good luck with you appt. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was very surprised that I did not need a referral from my pm doctor. 8} I was told to bring my films with me. I will also be receiving paper work in the mail to fill out. I am kind of scared that it is so far away, the good thing is that my sister lives in Albany.

You are very lucky to live in the city. I live in a very rural area. I live in the adirondacks, upstate new york. The doctor seems about midage, no clue how old he is. LOL. I just hope that he is good, and I feel comfortable with him.

I have been in a lot of pain lately :(. I would sure love to get rid of at least the leg pain ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
  • Did you get an ESI while waiting or nerve pain meds? That's good you'll have your sister there for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My neurosurgeon is located 4 1/2 hours away in another state. I made the 9 hour round trip once for my initial consult, once for my pre-surgery appointment, once for my surgery, and once for a 7 week follow-up. I felt so good for my 3 month follow-up that my NS allowed me to have X-rays taken locally and I just mailed him a CD with the rads so I didn't have to make the drive. To be honest, the 4 1/2 hour drive 24 hours after my surgery was miserable, but it was great to be home (as opposed to a hotel room closer to the hospital). I have recovered GREAT and all that traveling was well worth the excellent care I received. I guess it would be another story if I had complications and needed to see my NS more often, but that was the whole point of going to "the best".

Make sure you trust and feel comfortable with your surgeon as well as the staff at the facility before scheduling your surgery. It really helps to have confidence in the person cutting into your spine, as well as have caring, skilled people taking care of you during and after your surgery!
  • I went to a surgeon 4 hours away and he was wonderful. A different surgeon only 1 1/2 hours away was scared to do my surgery, so that's another reason I traveled so far. It was totally worth it to drive the distance.
  • My neurosurgeon and pain management docs are both in a different country and 7667 miles away (as the crow flies). When you find the right doc, it doesn't matter how far you have to travel!

• I didn't have to travel but I agree with C. When you find the right doctor you just know it. I hope this is the one for you.
  • I am very excited to meet this new doctor, I sure hope that he is the one!!!! Who the heck would be excited to see a surgeon??? LOL.

My husband is going to see a surgeon in the same office that his other one is in(the one that did his fusion) next week. We need to see what needs to be done with his back.
    His hardware shifted as some of you know. He is also in chronic pain daily.

It is very hard to have two people in pain living together :T . We are also almost always together because he is disabled, and I am the same. I hope that we can figure out something so that he isn't in so much pain anymore!!!

Okay, long post, carrying on. Thanks for reading!!!
  • I had to travel 2 1/2 hours away from home for a good surgeon and have had pretty much the same experience as rivertime, except I'm only at seven weeks.

At week 2 I had some nerve issues, and the doc had us drive in again for a CT myleogram which turned out to be a hassel, mostly because it was it was hard for me to stay comfortable in a car for 5 hours. The CT turned out to be normal, so no big deal.

We (my GF) and I also chose to get a hotel room the night before my surgery pretty close to the hospital. I had a 9 hour surgery. He wanted to get going pretty early in the morning.

Ohh, and I almost forgot. And I still laugh as I type this. My surgery was originally scheduled for the week before it actually happened. And there was a crazy, freak snowstorm that hit the NW the weekend before my surgery. And the roads were terrible. But we drove 6 hours in a flippin' blizzard, near white out conditions to get to our hotel the night before my surgery, because I so badly wanted my surgery done.

Not only did my surgeon call to cancel my surgery the next morning, the hospital was closed for all elective surgeries, and so was the interstate to get back home...for 3 days.

I was a little angry and stressed out at first. I was all geared up and ready for surgery. It was really nice that my GF and I were able to spend three days alone, in a hotel together, before surgery, in a foreign "land". Life is such an adventure.

Just a funny story, I enjoy telling. I thought I'd share, good luck with your surgery Heidi!
  • I agree with everyone else. If you find a good, caring doctor it doesn't matter how far you have to travel. My doctor is local but after my surgery my daughter will be taking me home with her which is a 3 hour drive.

Good luck and hope you find that good doctor. The first thing you have to do is have faith in your doctor.

• My suregeon is 2 hours away and the hospitl where I had surgery was 4 hours away. I wouldnt have done it any other way. I trusted my Dr that much. He gave me a great shot of dilodid for the ride home. It was in a snow storm, but everything worked out ok. Im sure your Dr will give u plenty of meds to make you comfortable on the way home. Good Luck. The Hospital I went to was a smaller one, and that was great too. Really good paitient care, that is why he operates 1 1/2 hours from his office. Having faith in your Dr is half of recovery in my opinion. Good Luck.