Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

when is it a new injury

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had microdiscectomy of L5 a year and a half ago- it was diagnosed at the time with an MRI showing a fragmented hernia. The surgery was very succesful, and I was back at an office job within a week. Since then it has been wonderful- almost like my six months of increasing pain and especially sciatic numbness never happened. Since about three months after the surgery I have resumed most of my previous activities- hiking, biking, some lifting. I admit I was getting careless, but tried to think twice about stupid lifts.. this weekend I was visiting relatives and was lifting and throwing my young nephews around while playing. I felt a distinct pain as I did so.. now it seems like I am back to a stage around three months before my previous surgery.. I have a dull pain, it hurts a little to sit and get up out of deep chairs, I get pain at a moderate angle lifting even light weight, and putting on socks and shoes is very hard. None of this is causing extreme pain, but it also came on suddenly two days ago and seems to specific and familiar to just be a muscle pull.

I am very worried I either tore the surgery scars or re-herniated the disk. To the best of your knowledge: 1) is it pretty much inevitable that it will get worse and I will need surgery again? 2) if so, is the same procedure, or an even less evasive procedure, an option or is it now even more serious (i.e. requiring fusion)...or 3) if it is a mild case of "something down there" can a chiropractor do anything? I trust one who helped with a shoulder/neck thing a few months back.. I hope he would tell me straight up if he did not feel comfortable working on a previously operated-on lower back..

Boy was that a stupid rough-housing session (possibly a multi-thousand dollar one)

• If it's at the same level and same symptoms then it's called a recurrence or re-herniation .If you get another micro it will be the same procedure and recovery, whether or not you need a fusion is up to you and your doctor.I had a similar experience with my first micro d I felt great for months and then wham right back to where I was before. Good luck