Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have a toradol injection?

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
Hi. My doctor gave me an injection of Toradol yesterday and I'm just wondering how many of you have had it help you? I can't tell I had it yet. How long does it take before it starts helping?

• Hi Sunny. I have had a couple during ER visits for my back and I know for sure 1 of the 2 kicked in fairly fast as in within couple hrs. The docs in the ER I have gone to( the same one ) swear by it as apparently it is non narcotic and very effective. Good luck and god bless
  • I LOVE Toradol, too bad I can't take it everyday. I've had it in injection form at the ER and office visits. After my fusion I took it in pill form very briefly because it can cause kidney failure and can eat a hole through your stomach. Oh well..
  • I had a few injections if this in the drs office for pain. I don't think it did a thing for me. I know it is a potent antiinflammatory. I don't think it is designed to have long last effects.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I just love the response I always get to my questions on here. It's so helpful. I'm glad that most of you get great results from toradol. I've only had the one injection yesterday and I thought sure I'd be "cured" today but so far I can't tell I had it. Maybe it'll take a while? I hope that's it. Strange how we all are affected so differently by meds isn't it? I was pretty sick at my stomach last night. Is that a side effect? Thank you all. I appreciate it. Hope you're all having a good day.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    How often do they give these injections if they do help? How long does the relief last for those of you that get relief? My doctor gave it to me for lower back pain that I've had since having a myelogram on Jan. 20. He said we'd try it before doing an MRI to see whats wrong. I was so hoping it would work. Thank you all again.
  • I was giving toradol in the ER. I felt fine until I started seeing these spiders all over me I freak out and the nurse said I was having a severe reaction because I started to not breath right and itching all over body. I wear a band when I go to hospital to let them know I'm allergic to certian meds like Pericet, Darvocet, and now Toradol.
  • Ive had toradol injections many times, it can help as long as you have something that needs and can heal. It is a very good anti-inflammatory, similiar to ibuprofen(motrin, advil) but much more powerful. It's not something like morphine that will block your brain from feeling pain, it is something that works to heal the cause of the pain itself.
  • I have one every couple months. Semi effective. Although I wish they would stop messing with my pain and just hit me with a morphine drip
  • me too I feel the same way...
  • I've had Toradol injections and oral Toradol. The injection should work fairly quickly, as it's a heavy duty anti-inflammatory drug. My pain relief was instant WHEN it worked, but I had many injections that didn't make a difference.

You might want to talk to your doc about taking it orally for a week to see if you get any relief; there's a maximum length of time you can take it.

• I have just come home from having a torodol injection for L5-S1 nerve pain. I am hoping it will help. I will keep you posted as to my progress.
  • WritersingsWWritersings Posts: 4
    edited 08/29/2014 - 2:25 PM
    I had facet injections in my neck (C4-C7) with Toradol last week. This was the first time I ever had pain shots like this. Two days afterr my neck pain was gone! I thought it was amazing. I've had neck and upper trap muscle pain/spasms for years now and have had multiple facet injections in my cervical spine using steroids in the past with no side effects.

Well, three days after these new facet injections with Toradol I began having weird muscle/joint aching pain in both my arms and lower back, feeling like I did all sort of physical activity and had really sore muscles. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

The following days, the pain was there... only it's getting worse that I can't even straighten out my elbows without a lot of pain. It runs down into my wrists and hands too. It almost feels like I'm 90 with terrible arthritis and I'm only 48! I never had this type of pain and discomfort before this. My whole body feels stiff and aches. I've been doing mild stretches and mild exercise.

Has anyone ever experienced this with Facet Injections using Toradol? I'm just trying to figure out what is causing these issues.

Thank you kindly.
  • used for pain for a short period of time. Normally, 5 days or less. Burning or increased pain at the site of the injection can happen occassionally.
  • I have not taken Toradol for any back/spine related issues, but have had it prescribed for migraines. One or two doses usually at home will usually get rid of it. It cannot be taken on a regular basis, so I have it ready "as needed" and know only to take it when I feel one coming on, or am in the middle of one. I also have a anti-nausea/anti-emetic I take with it. I have had injections of Toradol at the ER for my migraines before I prescribed the oral meds.
  • Hi Sunny,
    I had a toradol injection yesterday and she said when it kicks in, it will be wonderful. I never felt any different. I was very frustrated.
  • numerous Toradol injections over the years. I have a ton of adhesions caused by endometriosis and 8 pelvic surgeries. The adhesions are wrapped around my bowels and every couple of months or so they will tighten up suddenly and I'm in excruciating pain. I go to urgent care immediately for a Toradol injection when this happens. If I get the shot immediately I can avoid 4-5 days of sheer misery, but it has to be as soon as the flare up begins.

I am in PM and cleared this with my doctor about a year ago. I hadn't been going for the injections because I thought it might violate the PM contract with him. When I finally asked he said absolutely, go in when it happens. They just can't give me narcotics, which I don't need anyhow since I'm in pain management. The Toradol injection is a life saver for me and the relief is virtually instantaneous. I feel better within a half hour.
    4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.
  • Toradol does nothing for me. But that's just me. Morphine doesnt really work for me much either. Er always gives me dilaudid every few hours. And then 10 mg percoset in between. I guess I have a high tolerance to pain meds. Right now I take 1200mg ibprofen and 100 mg tramadol every 4 hours. It helps but not great.
  • The maximum safe dosage of tramadol per day is 400 milligrams. Does your doctor know you are taking 1 and half times that amount? Doing that is dangerous and can have serious repercussions.
  • mccoymmccoy Posts: 10
    edited 10/01/2014 - 7:18 PM
    I dont take it while im asleep so I pretty much take about 400mg a day
  • I've had them and they never seemed to do anything for me at all.
  • I've had Toradol a few times for my back and sciatica. Never worked for me. Hope it helps for you!!
    Misty Dailey
  • sunny1966 said:
    Hi. My doctor gave me an injection of Toradol yesterday and I'm just wondering how many of you have had it help you? I can't tell I had it yet. How long does it take before it starts helping?
    I have these injections rxed to me for severe migraines. Its my last choice when all others have failed. The medication usually starts working in 30 minutes or less and the effect/pain relief is gone in about three hours or so. If you got in a day ago and you did not get any relief chances are you will not. I would ask doctor what milligrams the injection was, perhaps you need a higher dose. Some doctors will only give 15 mg, some will do the 30 mg. I now have the 30 mg at home but at one point my nero did the 60 mg. In my opinion this medication works very well.
  • tcastenttcasten Posts: 1
    edited 02/03/2015 - 11:32 AM
    Toradol injections help my chronic pain a lot. I have been on everything including High dose Fentanyl oxys morphine etc.

Toradol is like a life saver for me.

I also use Sprix Spray which is the nasal Toradol with a lot of success if you can get beyond the extreme burning when you use it. But after the nose pain and eye watering it really helps.

• I've had it several times in iv form, by mouth, and IM. Umfortunately for me I can say that it hasn't really ever done anything. I've had it both in the ER and while admitted to the hospital for my headaches but by the time I go to the hospital for them it does nothing, I try to treat at home for as long as possible. I have also had it with dilaudid following my back surgery, they were trying to get my pain under control so incould be moved to my room, again it didn't really work. I have heard that when itnworks it usually takes about 45-60min if given IV and between 60-90 min if given IM. Best of luck to you, I hope it helps.
  • I just had a toradol injection today and not feeling any relief yet. I've had several in the past and not really sure how much they do help but at this point I'm willing to try anything.
    Loving Mom of one and wife of 13 years
    DDD x5 yrs
  • Had toradol injections for more than 3 weeks twice a day. They kick in after about an hour and last for about 5. They are potentially dangerous but I was in too much pain and that was the only thing that worked. I had two injections of bentelan which is cortisone. They were useless though if I tried to get up and walk. They only worked if I was laying in bed without moving. God what awful days..
  • I had my first injection of Todarol for my Degenerative Disc pain which btw was extremely painful to boot. After about 6 hrs my debilitating back pain went away and its been 2 weeks since I have had a flare up. However the pain in my leg from this injection is far worse than my back pain was. 2 weeks and I cannot walk right as they believe I may have bled into my nerves and cause my leg to flare up. Now I am on pain meds for the pain meds. If my doctor wasn't my best friend, I would have sued his practice for this pain. Or at least had them compensate me for the time lost at work.
  • When back pain started It really helped me, received some injections at ER also, it does help me, my Drs. are not prescribing for me, I read it was an after surgery pain med.

For some reason Drs. do not write out an rx for the tabs, maybe its too potent of an anti inflammatory?
  • At a time....otherwise there are some nasty effects that can occur.

This discussion has been closed.