Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Artificial Disc Replacement? Has anyone had this done?

hermajestyaprilhhermajestyapril Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
ESI's have proven helpful, but the effect is waning. Pain Dr. is talking about Radioactive treatment. Other options are laminectomy, discectomy, but I'm not thrilled with any of those options.
I'm looking into artificial disc replacement for my L5-S1, but am awaiting word from the insurance company to see if they'll consider covering it.
Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this option? What were the results?

• Funny that I should find your post....I found this forum today as I was looking for info/people who have had ADR.

I, myself had the Charite Artificial Disc put in a little over 3 years ago. And until last Monday, I could not have been happier!! Honestly! Everything had been wonderful. I had been able to get back into sports, be active again and had even lost close to 30 pounds!! Pain level had decreased almost to nothing....may have a bad day here or there.

But all of a sudden, last Monday, my back went out. First time in 3 years. Unfortunately, I was traveling for a tournament and have now been laid up at home since Wednesday (now Sunday). Not really sure what is going on. I called my doctor and was able to get some xrays done on Friday, but my appointment isn't until later this month.

Not sure if this helps at all or not....but I was looking to see if anyone else has had similar type experiences.
  • I have been thinking about it. So, I am very interested in other's experiences.

NS told me before last laminectomy/discectomy that to really "fix" my problems would require a fusion at first herniation site, plus an ADR at the next level up, which had hernated this time. I opted for the conservative approach, and am still having a lot of problems. I just wonder if I had "gone for it" last year, would I be better off... hmmm

• If I am reading this right you want it for above a fusion right? my understanding that unless you live in europe it hasnt been approved in the us by the fda for above a fusion yet it has to be at least one away from a fusion, this my have change recently but my doc is wainting to do this above my fusion of l5-s1, I hope it has been approved here in the us I have heard good things on it and at this piont this is all I have left in the docs eye after the hard whare removal.. If I am wrong on this please let me know we didnt discuss it at last check up for once was in to much pain...
This discussion has been closed.