Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 yrs old - lots of pain, cognitive dysfunction - is it my neck?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,

First, I want to introduce myself. I'm a third year law student living in Boston, MA. I've been "sick" for about two years, suffering from tons of muscle pain, facial pain, neck stiffness, cognitive decline/poor memory, poor vision, and urinary incontinence.

I've had an MRI, CT, and lumbar puncture - all showing nothing.

Just had a Rheum order a spinal MRI which showed DDD, multiple bulging discs, and cervical arthritis in every disc. Haven't had a follow up yet.

Anyways - I've been all over - been tested for everything, and this spinal info is the first objective evidence that I have of my pain. Finally, I don't have to hear that I am making up the pain (i.e. fibromyalgia diagnosis) I'm wondering - can my spinal issues be the culprit for my cognitive issues? If not, what should I expect?

I've taken the steps of already exercising everyday, eating perfect, and doing yoga 4 days a week (found that it helps a lot with the lower back pain).

Would love to hear stories - advice, or simply just get some information about what to expect with my new diagnosis.

• Hi there Legaleagle,

Pain can absolutely affect your cognativity. I’ve been dealing with chronic pain now for over 20 years and have consequently been diagnosed with major depression and a pain disorder due to the pain. This almost destroyed my life before I finally admitted there was a problem and sought help for it. Things aren’t great now but they’re much better than they were a few years ago. So, if you think you’re having some difficulties I would urge you to talk to someone about it.

Best of luck to you.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you know your pain is real so don't let anyone tell you different. i use conservative measures to help with my back pain including exercise and Yoga. :? i just started a strength training program as well. it is alot of give and take to find what works. =D> good luck as you search for pain relief! try different measures till you find what works. :D i look forward to seeing you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Thank you to both of you. I am really hoping to get back to life, and I can already tell that chatting on this board is a positive step towards that.