Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
I was just cruising the web when I found this site, as I looked around I realized there are alot of people with the same problems that I suffer from, which is chronic lower B/P and muscle spasms of every muscle in my neck and back. My problems started in 2001 when I fell at work approx. 12 ft. flat on my back. I had a Pain Mgmt Dr perform 3 Spinal Block injections to no avail, each injection only lasted about 2 weeks instead of 3-6 mos. In April 2003thru Aug 2004 I went to Iraq as a truck driver in the Army Reserve, Since my fall in Aug. 01 I had complained of pain and numbness in my lower back, my Dr's did several MRI's & never found anything so they just prescribed pain meds and muscle relaxers that just give minimal relief. Upon my return from Iraq I was referred to a sports medicine Dr. who did another MRI only this tim he he saw a bulging disk and 2 small fractures in the L-5-S-1 region, this Dr. Referred me to a Nuerosurgeon in Oct. 2006 after I started experiencing bi-lateral leg pain. The nuerosurgeon after fighting with my Workers Comp. Ins. started prepping me for an Axia-lif surgery by conducting A thin layer CT and a Ct Mylegram with contast. Later that evening I developed a Spinal Headache , 3 days later the headache had me in the ER getting a Blood patch. Finally in May 2007 I had my Axia-lif surgery. I was in the hosp. for 3 days. My recovery was going great up until Oct 07 when I started to again experienc Bi-lateral leg. My Surgeon immediately suspended PT and put me back into pool therepy and conducted another thin layer CT only to find out that the fusion was failing and that my body was rejecting the cadaver bonr that was used in the surgery and all of the hardware was working itself loose. Upon this dicovery my Surgeon tryed to order aa External Bone Growth Simulator which W/C finally approved & I received in Jan.08. I wore the simulator until May 08 to until I under went another surgery to replace the hardware and the cadaver bone with bone grafts from my own hips. So far I am doing pretty good in my recovery. I am stronger, but I suffer from chronic pain and spasms. Three wks ago I had severe pains running down the backs of my legs, I go to see my surgeon this Fri. 3-6-09 I hope that I have not screwed any thing up.

• I was just trying to research some info online and found this site. Looks like a good place to find out if anyone else has had the same issues I’ve had. I’m a disabled veteran so I go the VA for my health care and have to be very proactive to get any results.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had an upright MRI and found that the findings were different from a regular MRI where you’re lying down. I’ve been asking the VA about this and they say that it won’t make any difference even though they tell me I should be walking with 2 canes/crutches to take the load off of my spine. Yet my MRI findings are minimal at best and they cannot give me a definitive answer for all of my symptoms.

I had a 1200 lbs object fall on me and suffered compression fractures of 9 vertebra. I have Schmorl’s nodes at every level. With several bulging discs, trauma induced scoliosis, twisting at L4-L5, and some kind of blood related tumor on the spine. Right leg sciatica, chest pains, pins and needles in both legs and arms along with fecal leakage and horrendous headaches.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and if you’re reading this I hope you’re having a good day.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.good luck on your recovery! :D i hope you continue on the right track! Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    I was trying to locate some articles that discussed this.
    From what I remember reading was that the Upright and/or Open MRI units do not produce the same quality image as the standard MRI units.
    There are some conditions that the Upright MRI has been unable to detect.
    I do understand there is progress being made in the magnet in the upright so that some day they will produce equal images
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com