Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it post-surgery infection or just the flu?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ALIFt L5/S1 on February 4th. Still enduring pain, taking Percoset daily but trying to wean down to only 1 Oxycontin per day (40 mg). 2 nights ago, I had these terrible cold sweats right around bedtime and a little through the night. Pain was "normal" for me. Last night, it was like someone was pouring water on me all night (my head and pillow were soaked), my LBP was HORRIBLE and I had a fever of 100.0 at 4 am. No fever when I awoke this morning, but was only able to eat 1/3 banana and 1/2 apple all day. My skin "hurts" like it would if you had the flu, lower back still same, but fever is almost 101 (my normal temp is like 97).

Should I worry that it could be an infection from surgery or has too much time passed and it's just likely the flu???

• Id notify your doctor.

I was told any temp above 101 to notify thm as it could be infection.
  • Absolutely call the doc and rule out the possibility of infection.

One month point is also not very long IMHO after the surgery, so be slow on worrying about the pain meds. I think we all get caught in this game and hurry! Be realistic, the body takes time to heal. try and not stress it by suffering in pain when you are not ready to cut back on pain meds yet! You have all the time in the world to ease off those when you are really ready and don't hurt!

Take care of the fever! Make sure you don't have an infection issue
  • and he said in the thousands of surgeries he's done, he's only had one person end up with an infection this far out from surgery. He had tested and re-tested some numbers (C Reactive Protein?) after a REALLY bad day of LBP about 2 weeks ago, and since they were going down, he's pretty convinced it's not an infection.

But...I know there's something you CAN'T take to lower fevers and such while on pain killers, but I can't remember! Are you supposed to take naprosen (Aleve), acetominophin (Tylenol) what???
  • APAP/Acetaminphen is tylenol, found in lortab, vicodon, perceocets, etc. Don't want to take more then 3.75grams of tylenol in a day if that helps.
  • HOW DID YOU DO IT IT WENT THROUGH THE SAME SURGERY , I STILL GET LEG PAIN STARTING WALKING IN THE POOL YEATERDAY FELT WEIRD!! THIS IS MY 2ND SURGERY NOW I HAD L-2 L-3 L-4 REVISION OF L-5 S-1 BEFORE MY SURGERY JAN 13.09 I WAS WALKING TH TREADMILL EVERYDAY U R amazing, i start therapy in 5 weeks i feel ok just sometime the leg pain i will be heading to the gym in a few doc said only walk in the water but kudos to you u r amazing
  • I was given antibiotics in the hospital, and sent home with a script to take home. I did run a low grade fever at one point while in the hospital, and the doctor monitored it closely. I did have it again once when I got home, but it went as quickly as it came. If you have kids, have someone monitor them closely, or possible it might be too late. I am very fortunate. My boys are very rarely ill. They have gone a couple of years in school without missing a day. Many times I did not even realize it until end of school awards day, and they would get awards for not missing a single day of school. I do not get many visitors, and I like it that way. I do not understand why people want to see you, or you want to see visitors for that matter. This is a point when you feel and look the worst in your life. Every person that comes in has the potential for passing something on to you. It has been almost 4 weeks since my surgery, and the occasional cough and sneeze still hurts. I could not imagine having the flu on top of that. Good Luck.