Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Update to:

Well, its been awhile now and my pain is steadily about the same. 1-3 without drugs and about 1 with. My sciatica pain has pretty much vanished. I do still have ocassional light pain outside my right calf area and some discomfort in my right hip. My lower back is a little tight too.

I am able to walk on my heels again, which I havent been able to do in months.

I was considering surgery but now i'm not so sure. Since i'm improving (slowly) I was wondering if i'd continue to do so?? Or if it is possible I will heal on my own.

What was once severe 7-9 pain to where i struggled to walk has gone down to almost nothing. I have no clue why. I have been stretching every day and babying my back. Right now i'm going on about 48 hours of no pain meds and the pain is about a 2, though i just woke up. The pain is always at its peak when i just wake.

Again, i can walk on my toes and my heels. No movement makes the pain worse. Any thoughts?

• I do have the opportunity to go see a neurosurgeon, but i'm am apprehensive about doing so based on the way i have been feeling lately. I have had 4 esi's and my MRI results are on the linked posted above. I have never had any kind of back surgery.
  • for what it's worth - I would do anything to relieve the pain without surgery. If I'd had that option, I never would've had it. That being said, it would be wise to consult with a surgeon to be sure that you're not on the verge of a larger problem and to validate that the path you are on is a stable one, at least for now.

I'm sure you're going to hear this same opinion from most everyone here. None of us have wanted surgery and if we could've lessened our pain in any way, we would've done it without being cut open.

I'm very happy that you're able to control your pain with noninvasive methods. Consider yourself a very lucky person.

• I would agree with Cath. I would never have surgery unless I absolutely had to. When other treatments are helping and with low levels of pain that seem to improve I'd keep doing that for now. I never thought I'd agree to back surgery, ever, but I didn't have a choice. My Dr.did tell me up front once you have back surgery there are no guarantees it works or for how long, once you have one you will most likely some day down the road have more problems. But my first surgery and all other treatments didn't work so I suffered for another 3 years thinking the nerves would heal with time and did all other treatments. Then one day the excruciating pain was back, no options left because I couldn't stand, sit, walk, lay down, move at all again and had BR, other issue so I had to have the fusion...now I wish I had the fusion much sooner. My Dr. told me in hindsight he should have done it the first time but you never know what's best sometimes. It's a long recovery and takes so much patience but I am so much better with tolerable pain levels and hope to get even better with time. But if I were you, since you can tolerate the pain and think you are doing ok, I'd get several opinions to be sure or trust your Dr. if you like him, but do what your Drs. suggest to keep doing well. Review your options before deciding. Good luck!
  • I appreciate any and all replys. I think I am going to schedule an appt. with the n.s. That way I can have peace of mind. In reference to my pain, I would say i'm 85 percent right now. Is that worth not having the surgery? I'm not sure. Since I like to golf, I made a couple of "practice" swings today in the house. I swung hard both times and it didnt affect my back at all. I'm always worried I'm going to do something to mess my back up again and go through the 9 level pain that I was in but I had to try the golf swing to validate that I could do it. I do worry about going back to that pain level but hope I never do again. I just hope I'm making the right choice. And, I hope that I can get better....maybe even improve on where I am now. Based on my MRI results, does anything see that as being possible? (results are on the linked post) Those were taken about 3 weeks ago. Thanks.
  • Vook, I am an avid golfer also. I got to the point that I couldn't play because if I grounded the club it put quite a jolt through my neck and I'd have to quit.

The questions you've posted are good questions for your NS. I told my NS about the golf and he said that if I did my surgery and October, he'd have me back on the course by April. It may be worth considering waiting until the Fall so you go through everything in the Winter and can get back on the golf course. I've been riding with my hubby, and frankly April just can't get here fast enough. I swung a club last weekend and it cause some pain issues so I know I'm not quite ready.

• Be careful and be sure to ask your Dr. before you swing that club again just to be sure.

Cath, take your time because as much as you want to golf you don't want to take those 2 steps back! Is that your dog in the picture.....I think (s)he is so cute!
  • Please be sure to keep us posted.

Kathy, yes, my avitar is my little buddy Merc. He'll be 15 in April and I attribute his longevity to the homemade food I make for him. :-)

He's an angel.

• im not sure what you have, but im guessing a herniated disk. I went to the Neuro in late January and told him about my pain and told him I need to be ready to swing a hammer for work and play golf by about April to mid April. He told me the microdiscectomy should be able to get me there but couldnt make any promises. I went under the knife a week later (Feb 4th). Its been 1 month now post op and im doing everything essentially pain free. Im not lifting anything other than my 16lb bowling ball, but i have been using a sledgehammer occasionally this last week and im fine. I goto PT today and will ask him if i can swing a golf club tomorow as we have a demo day and id love to check out the newest clubs. But if he say no, then i guess i just go look. We will have a few days we could go out and play golf here and there, but by mid April i will be fine to play (pending any setbacks). Anyways, the micro worked for me, and i can only suggest it. It doesnt work for everyone though