Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what would you do?

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Depression and Coping
As I was laying in bed last night, feeling my legs go numb from the effects of my many meds, and the conditions that brings me here in the first place, I began to wonder.....

What would I really do if i woke up in the morning and i was paralyzed from the waist down, BUT I HAD NO MORE PAIN!

would you trade I/you trade my/your legs to regain a life without pain?

.....I honestly think I would...

• I wouldn't trade unless they come up with bionic parts! I have only been battling pain and the lack of complete mobility, my old self, for just over 3 years compare to others here. But as much as the pain wears me down and makes me sad some days....I would keep this darn old nerve pain to keep some mobility and independence. I think being able to do some things myself and be some what independent, not a complete burden to myself and family, is what keeps me going on a bad day and makes me feel better on a good day. Please keep your spirits up and remember there is always hope for new treatments in the future! I know it is so hard and some days we wonder what our purpose is as we adjust to the way we live now. The people around us just don't get it like the people here do, you have to live it daily to understand. Don't give up hope and I hope you feel better!

• I don't know if i could do that, I might hobble along, crab like at times but at least I am moving under my own steam.
    I fractured a vertabrae in the top of my spine back in 1993 i think it was, whilst learning to "knee board" I hit another boats wake as they cut us up I flipped & the board which weighs a couple of stone hit my neck. I walked into A&E & whilst waiting i developed creeping paralasis which started in my toes & worked its way up my legs & stopped just above my waist - after having an xray I was still lying on the table when the A&E doctor came in with 6 nurses which freaked me out to begin with! she told me that there was a high possibility that i would never walk again - the 6 nurses were to hold me down so I didn't injure myself further!! in the end this lasted & I was in hospital for almost 6 weeks - i couldn't initially tell you when I had been to the loo - it just happened! - I refused food for 3 weeks & would only take drinks after having a catheter put in! when it started to subside i cried for joy - so after a long winded reply no i'm not sure I could go through that again - everyone is different !! db
  • I'll try and answer this without screwing it up too much. I have thought this one over a few times. I would gladly give up my arm and shoulder for a few days, but then I would want it back!

The scary part of nerve damage is being 100% sure the part that hurts is actually generating the pain! I read a long article about a long time pain sufferer that had his paralyzed arm amputated in the hopes it alleviate some of the pain. It did not.

What would you/we/anyone do if the part was removed or paralyzed and no longer served a purpose yet still hurt? Nerve damage does that to many people already.

I would not wish myself a change that may still hurt.
  • There was a time when a disc fragment shifted around and my sciatica symptoms went primarily from pain to numbness within a few days. In a weird way I was "happy" about the numbness and found it much easier to accept after several weeks of pain.
  • as I had a really bad night last night, been awake since 2am on & off & eventually had to get up & move down stairs so I could fill a hot water bottle at 5am. Pain has been through the roof this morning & I have odd numbness in my right hip & down the back of my leg which i've not had before. I think it is probably just reliving when I posted yesterday how it felt when I thought all of those years ago that I would never walk again - just got me going on a bad day I think!!! can't believe it though this morning as it rained heavily all night & was raining when I got up this morning & then it started snowing heavily & hasn't stopped now for several hours & it is now lying thick. getting to work was fun I skidded coming out of the driveway!!! now at work & thinking I probably should have gone to see my GP rather than struggling to work - probably will soon. I know snow is not unusual but it is for us on the south coast of england!! Feeling a bit better now for putting down what is scaring me - I know what ever this is will be temporary but you all probably know how things can catch you sometimes especially when you down !!!db
  • Or have you ever been in a wheelchair for any length of time?

I have been,and after 7 foot operations and having to learn to walk all over again,back pain,leg pain,neck & more..I would not trade it in because I still have the ability to walk,even though I feel pain with every single step I take.

I understand your question though,it's only my years of learning to deal with this and the many experiences I've been through that made this an easier question for me to answer.
  • Just being confined to a recliner I could not get out of without help was enough to show me not to wish that.
    When I was in a brace sternum to chin and had my right arm in a sling due to the shattered collarbone, then the pin, I could not get out of that chair without help.

No thanks, I'll not think those thoughts. The only thing I would wish to lose is cold weather...
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    No way hope-in-mn, I can't sit still when I'm awake, it takes my mind off the pain. I need my independence, got to stay working as long as I am possibly able. I too have pain 24/7 but with the help of my medical team and a few good meds out there I am able to survive. Now if I had to chose losing a part of me than that is another story, but lets not even think about that subject.
    Besides, it's not an option, correct?
    Take care,
  • Good point-about HAVING to choose...

....but off topic so,like you said,let's not even think about that subject.I wish I could put a shake in here...lol.A whole body shake. :))(

I move around too sometimes to take my mind off of things.When I get really stressed out I throw myself into my housework,and think about nothing..but the next day when I get out of bed I'm in pain that my medication can't control.I have nobody to blame but myself for those days and I'm just getting over that pain now from a couple days ago.

Tuesday was a fun day too,we went to Lowe's,picked up some pipe insulation,an insulalated water heater blanket and some rugs.I love that store,but it's so huge and the hard cement flooring is hell on this body..and I'm too stubborn to use a wheelchair...no way.That day will come again,and until then I'll crawl if I have to.

Sunny and 68 here tomorrow,75 Saturday.That should help the bones & muscles... :)))
  • For the past 17 months every morning I wake up hoping this will be a pain free day and I'm still waiting. Had surgery in 97 and things were ok, then out of the blue it starting all over again. My doctor says in continuation from surgery, and WC doctor say is DDD so now it just a waiting game if I have surgery.

I thought the very question would I be better of if???? I love my wife and daughter to much to burden them because I made a rash stupid decission.

With the love of family and GOD I last another day.
  • I know what you mean about Lowes, I dislike those stores and the Super anything MARTS! They are so LARGE, you invariably go in the WRONG side and have to cross over, back and forth three or four times. =D>

Good for exercise, bad for time management if your in a hurry! ~X(

My legs don't hurt and I'm tempted to get a scooter! :?