Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

if i try to do something my lower back aches like hell

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
i know that's its a strange title but i could not thing of a better way of putting it .let me explain today i tided up my garden shed {spring clear out} nothing too heavy but lots of bending.by the time i had done my lower back to the right of the scar where i was operated on was and still is {and probably will be when you read this!} aching like mad i felt like i had done 1000000 sit ups its like tooth ache .not much leg pain but evil back ache .what i want to know is do any of you lovely people have a similar problem when you do things like wash your car/ironing.gardening.DIYor is it just me? and do any of you know how i can get the ache under control.
even when i sit down on my chair it wont go away.its like morning pain all day!{i say morning pain because my pain in the morning is unbearable }it tends to subside to a manageable level after oxycodone and rest

• I get that all the time anytime i do anything at all.The only thing I found that helps is rest and meds of course . good luck hope you feel better.
  • Same here but in T-spine area. Deep hard hurt. I call mine my campfire! Feels like someone lit D#*n fire dead center in my back! It usually sets in after an hour or so of mild work and hangs around anywhere from a few hours (rarely that short) to 3-5 days! Thankfully it is one thing the Norco helps! The arm and shoulder only move off a little to the distance. At time the Norco really works well for the campfire!
  • If I do certain activities my back gets really bad as well. My real chronic pain is neuropathic and that hurts all the time, the type of pain you speak of usually starts when I do something that puts stress on the lower back, my upper back hurts at times as well. I believe what its tightness, soreness, and maybe even spasming in the back. When this happens to me nothing works better than valium on top of my regular pain med's.
  • have you tried the acticare for you neuropathic pain?
    see www.acticare.com
    for more info {its not a cheap TENS !} its a TENS and an external spinal cord stimulator and more and you can try it for 30 days too...got to be worth a shot ! i have one and would not be without it
    good luck J.O
  • I was having a pretty good day on Monday - and feeling a little more energetic than usual. I went outside and got some bulbs potted up to bring inside to force their bloom...i was out there doing this crouched down on my toes, bent over - and when I got back in.....oh it hurt something bad from the bottom of my head to the bottom of my ribs - I couldn't move a thing.....the rest of the day was now not so good.

The worrisome thing is that starting on the 15th, the business is up and running for another season....I will be spending 6-7 hours a day in that position on and off. I have made it thru the last 2 seasons, but I do groan at the thought of a 3rd - but gotta do what you have to do.

No you are not alone
  • I was going to post this same topic until I saw your post. The answer is YES I have the same problem! Yesterday I went to the store for some jeans, tried some on, I was in and out. My toes were numb the whole time, and driving home I was AGONY. I had to pull of the road and rub my nervy foot. By the time I got home I was in bad shape. In tears. When I look back I think I must have done a little forward bending as I tried on jeans. From now on I will sit down to put on pants like I do at home. I had C 4/5 fusion 8 weeks ago, and I'm trying to taper down my meds. These constant flare ups are not helping. You are not alone Straker, do you feel like you're always walking on eggshells? We all wish to, want to, need to, do those everyday things in life. And some how baby our bodies at the same time. It's a diffucult balance to achieve.

Keep Hope,
    Faith M
  • Hey Tony,
    I have the same issue. Like you, I love my 4x4 and love it even more when it's shiny, however, I can only do the drive thru washes which I hate paying for. Just taking wet clothes out of washer and put in dryer hurts. It hurts to sweep/mop/vacuum, it hurts to stand up while I blow dry my hair, to load/unload dishwasher, bend down and pick up hundreds of legos and dominos off the floor, go grocery shopping, load groceries in car, put groceries away, it hurts to get dressed and put my shoes on, to drive on the country back roads when i hit the bumps or to turn my body to see if there is something behind me or beside me while I am driving.....I could go on and on and on and on........

It hurts no matter what I do...big or little. I am so sick and tired of it hurting! It takes me all day just to pick up my house and then it's dirty again cuz the kids get home from school and I wake up and start it all over again. I am forcing myself to sit in a chair at the table today to go over bills and paperwork. I'm procrastinating though cuz I'm on here instead lol. My back hurts just from sitting in this stupid kitchen chair even with a pillow behind my back and under my butt.

I have this throbbing pain to the right of my spine at the top of my buttcheek. I was told this is where the SI joint is. It never goes away even with SI joint injections. my legs and hips and outer thighs and the back of my thighs.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your frustrations with trying to get normal daily activities completed without experiencing pain.
  • i am about 5 Min's behind you on hear tonight!.i too have the S1 permanent lower back ache its driving me insane!!!.hope that you are feeling a bit better hun .talk soon
  • Thanks Tony. I wish the same for you too. The pain I am experiencing seems to be nerve pain but was told my EMG was normal. Go figure?!
  • Yes, I succumbed to the lure of possible pain free living and bought the machine. It's very gentle movement and it shuts off after 12 minutes. Daily use is supposed to help your back muscles relax and open up your spine. You just lay on the floor, scoot your buttocks as close to the base as possible and wrap the back of you knees over the pads at the top (you adjust the height to your height). It's pretty pleasant but the jury's out as to whether it will help me with my sciatic pain. I've also had a friend tell me that her friend cured herself my lying on the floor with legs elevated at 90 degrees resting on chair, bed, whatever for one hour every day. Supposedly, this puts you herniated disc back in place. Just more stuff to ponder!?
    Straker, yes, I too suffer when I try to do any of the normal things around the house and yard - especially be careful pulling laundry out of the washer and I stopped hand washing my car and spent the few $$$ to run it through the car wash.
  • 4X4s and back pain. Now theres a recipe for uncomfortable road trips! I traded my standard shift truck because of the pain of shifting! I had just bought the thing a year and a half earlier! I Love standard shift, cars, trucks etc, I just could not take the added pain of shifting! Itried everything to ekkp that truck! It was my dream Daildriver!
    2001, Dakota, quadcab, Fireengine red, Sport package. the only added options were the sport package and 4.7L V8! Try and find that combination of V8 and 5 speed in a newer truck! few and far between and I had to let it go :( I love the replacement though. An 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.7L and Quadratrac II. Still miss that truck though. I was raised 100' behind the Local AMC/Rambler/Jeep dealer. My dad started working there in 1954! Dad will be 79 in August and still works there! He "manages" the service side of the place now. It no longer sells new vehicles and is strictly a big used car lot. But dad won't retire, says he would go nuts and mom would kill him if he was around the house all day! So dad works 6 days a week. 8-12 noon.

I guess this has little to do with pain. But hey parents can be a form of pain too! :) I'm impressed that some of us can put up with some of the activities we still do! I may have traded that truck, but I still have the 5 speed manual trans in my 1969 AMC Rambler! I have found I can handle the pain on an irregular basis.

If we give up everything it only seems to make the pain worse.
  • we all love our cars! over here in the uk anything over a 2 ltr is considered large and our government tax us of the road! so you will find that us brits tend to drive nothing bigger than a 2 ltr 4 cylinder manual for tax reasons diesel is around 5.50 a gallon over here its madness the only reason i drive a 4x4 is because its so easy to exit and enter and its very comfy to drive .i love it
This discussion has been closed.