Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 1-Level Stupid Question - Haircut

MoonbabyMMoonbaby Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having a level 1 ACDF done on March 24th; outpatient, with donor bone and a titanium plate. I think my final question (and thank you everyone for being patient with me and all my questions!)... is about haircuts. How long after having surgery did you feel comfortable going in for a haircut.... including putting your head back for shampooing, etc.

I have an opportunity to get my cut really short, or keep it at it's present shoulder layered-length. If I keep it long, I'll need a trim about 3-4 weeks after surgery.

Thoughts? Experiences?

• if you would be happy with a short cut.... i say go for it!!! washing, blow drying and brushing my hair has been one of my difficulties both pre-op and post-op. i have long, layered hair that i normally wash and blow dry daily. the 1st 3 wks post-op i was exhausted afterwards and often would only do it every other day. i had a haircut 4wks after surgury but i washed it at home before going cuz i knew i couldn't put my head back in her sink. not sure yet if i will even be up to having her wash it next time (i get a cut every 8 wks). everyone is different but i hope my note has helped you. good luck on the 24th. :)
  • when I broke my neck and back I had my head shaved and grew a beard.... ~X(

I could not wash or comb my hair so it had to go!
    I could not shave because of the neck brace and my wife would not let me take it off!

You may choose some other option, but I'd go for short hair as it will be easier on your caregivers and you! It will grow back.

If you have an emotional attachment then by all means keep it! Don't stress yourself out over it. That does not do anyone any good!
  • It very funny that you posted this because I posted the same question before my surgery.

I had anticipated my just-below-shoulder-length hair would be a problem not only with washing, but putting the collar on after showering/bandage change, not being able to blowdry, etc.

I ended up going to a beautician and told her what was about to happen and that I needed a hair cut that would accommodate my upcoming situation. I ended up getting it completely layered (so when it dried naturally, it would lay nicely) and cut above my shoulders. It worked out really well and I didn't need to go back until five or six weeks when I could drive myself with my soft brace on.

Because I couldn't move my head in any direction while showering, I got a chair for the bathtub and my hubby gave me my showers, washed my hair, and dried me off. We both really found it enjoyable and missed it when I could shower by myself. :D

• Get it cut, or not, you will not care. It will probable stay in a pony tail. Last surgery, I was in the process of growing mine out to donate it. It was about 10 inches long, and very curly. By the time I went back to work, it was 12 inches, it was the lenth I needed with a little to spare for shaping.
  • My surgeon told me I would not be allowed to shower until my sutures came out at my 2 wk appt. BUT...he told me I could go to a hair dresser to have my hair washed & styled post op. I have to clarify with him how much I have to wear my brace. I was under the impression I'm not allowed to have it off much at all. I have to start a list of ? to ask before I go home. I already have a hair appt 2 days prior to surgery. I used to have VERY short hair but I'm growing it out. I'm not gonna cut it all off and start over=) Moonbaby good luck with your surgery, You're 6 days ahead of me.