Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost 3 months PLIF, anyone same

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
anyone out there at same stage? Just wanting to compare some notes. I am still having quite a bit of pain, wondering how this is for you.

• I am way ahead of you, it has been 10 months since my surgery. From what I have been reading here, the first 3-6 moths are the hardest for most people. So don't give up, it is a slow porcess but hopefully you will get rid of the pain eventually.

Wishing you a pain-free life,

• so may be you can help me now...I'm at my 3 month and I still hurt, still can't bend more then 25 % and still spasm if I cough, sneeze or step to hard.
    and I'm starting to have a lot of pain in my R shoulder??
  • I am also at 3 month mark and still hurt. I have spasms regularly and still take soma for that. I am trying to be optimistic as many of these other people on here but, it does get discouraging at times. Hang in there S. Carter. We will all get through this together. Keep me posted on your success.
  • My Dr just gave me the ok to start slowly bending at 6 months. I think you are on the right track. I am six months out and still have pain. It is a long reocvery. Look at it Dr visit to Dr visit instead of day to day. You will see more progress that way. I dont know bout shoulder. Keep me posted.
  • I have always been amazed how everyone heals so differently.

At 3 months post PLIF L2-L5 I was off all restrictions and back to work. But I also felt great. But now that I think about it, my surgeon prob let me go back as I asked every visit. At the 3month checkup he left it up to me.

I am now 5 months doing great. For me the main turning point was going back to work two months ago. I feel a hell of a lot more normal now then I did. I still have aches and pains but nothing severe.
  • Jakotsu,
    I'm at 2 months for a one level PLIF,and I hurt alot.But ,I think some of my pain is from other issues that are getting worse faster than my problems that were "fixed" are getting better.I feel lousy most of the time...I did have a constant pain right at the level that was done this time,and that pain has been reduced.It's miserable,for me,I am having a hard time accepting that back surgery does not make me 25 again!Starting counseling next month.
    Glad to hear you are doing so well,getting back to normal activities,like work,helps alot. Take Care Sagehen
  • Tomorrow will be 2 months for me. I had an L5-S1 MISS TLIF on April 13. I was driving 3 weeks after surgery (released by Dr.) I returned to work on May 25 after 6 weeks off. I am not taking any pain pills but I do take muscle relaxers. I go to PT twice a week and I am doing weight lifting and a lot of stretching and core work. I have 5 more PT appts and I will be done. I hike at least an hour everyday and if the weather doesn't allow I do Leslie Sansone's Walk to fitness 3 mile routine. It is very low impact but surprisingly a very good workout. So far the surgery has been a complete success. I do still have little twinges of nerve pain down my leg but its nothing compared to what it was before. I have the most discomfort trying to turn over in bed and I am very stiff in the mornings but the stretching is helping. Coughing and sneezing still hurt the incision area, I was actually surpressing all my coughs and sneezes but my PT said I need to start using my back as I normaly would or the muscles will never get reconditioned. My PT said that the pain around the incision area is what will take the longest to go away. Bending is getting easier but I feel that I have lost a lot of strength, I usually have to put my hands on my thighs to push myself back up. With all the PT and exercise I have managed to take off 13.5 pounds in the last month. I can now sit at my desk all day at work with no pain, that was the worst for me before surgery. I also still have a hard time putting my pants on LOL.
  • I have a lot of difficulty putting my shoes on and anything else that requires bending of that nature, it's improved over the past few months but as of late anymore I don't see much improvement.