Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year ago today!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My flexible spinal fusion to L4/L5 and S1 was a year ago today. Although i am doing well i still have some dicomfort especially on left side of lower back. This was exactly where most of the pain was before my opp. lying on back or on my left hand side is really uncomfortable. I also cant find a comfortable position to have intercourse with my husband.
I also find it difficult to steer a full shopping trolley as this hurts my back, or to walk for long periods eg clothes shopping, this is all very frustrating.
My consultant said the sharp pain is caused by scar tissue on top of the screw heads, he said there is nothing he can do for this. Has anyone else had this problem, or any advise to give me. On a positive note i am still glad i had the opperation, as before i was in so much agony and could hardly move, when i came to from the opp the blinding pain had gone, i just had post op soreness which was not nearly as bad.

• One year, good for you. Good to hear you are better but sorry to hear you are still having issues.
  • I am sorry that you still have to deal with these problems. As far as finding a comfortable position lying back, have you tried sleeping on a memory foam mattress top? To me that made all the difference. Also, do you put a pillow under your knees? I could not sleep without one. As far as the sex question, there were several threads dedicated to that. Everybody seem to have his or her own preference, try different things what works for you. Additional pillows may help, some people find the missionary position more comfortable, other prefer spooning, etc. Whatever you do, if something hurts, stop.

best wishes,

• Have you tried the long body pillows for sleeping?

If you lay on your side, pillow alongside your tummy, and tucked between your knees...

Also make sure you've got a great pillow for your head/neck, keeping everything in alignment.

Good Luck
  • Good Morning, I just ran across your thread. I am a "3 Level Fusion recovery patient". Sounds like, "Hi, my name is Lynnsy, and I'm a alcoholic"....LOL:) Mine was L3,4,5 plif, 2-6" rods, 6 screws, and one stabilization bar. Wooo-hooo!!! I was one year (Feb. 8th)

My original sciatica pain is gone also, but just have other issues. But there not bad. Just had to accept that life is different now, that's all. I just do things different and know my limitations.

I try to walk everyday for 1-1/2 miles, I ride my stationary bike for 2 miles, and I try to do my core strengthening excersises. But for the most part, I'm kinda lazy about my at home PT. But I'm doing alright.

I still hurt when I roll over in bed, I still hurt when I twist to look behind me while driving, shaving my legs sitting in the bathtub puts me on the couch for a day or so, standing is very limited still, I just started adding a little jog to my walk, (I was so excited the first time I could jog a little, I was grinnin' ear to ear) Bending over to pick stuff up, I put my left leg straight out in back of me. My NS told me never to lift over 20#, so I do, and ask for help for anything heavier. I can't dance, which I miss horribly, can kinda be-bop to music. Sex is kept simple, waaaahhhh......

Medically: I wear my Tens Unit whenever I know I'll be shopping or attending a function. I still take 3-4 percocets per day, depending on the barometer, I think I have more pain from the drop in pressure (barometer) more than anything now. I ALWAYS know 2 days ahead of a storm coming in, and I'm always right.

I am now in the process of trying to lose all this weight I gained while laying around and doing nothing for a year, I know I'll feel better if I do. Doing the "no-carb" thing and it's working.

But,.... We go camping a lot as we own a huge motor-home, (last summer,... and we live in the mountains of Colorado), so my goal last summer was to ride my ATV, and I did, slowly but I did it. So really looking forward to this summer. We went to Cozumel Mexico last December and I snorkled, we're getting ready to go back in May. We went to Indiana in October (my hubby's parents live there). So I try to set goals for myself, and still enjoy what life has to give me. BUT,... I still hurt, it's just different hurts now. Mostly just achey, but the perc's get rid of that.

From what my NS tells me, I have maybe 1 more year of healing. He said it takes about 2 years.

So I just keep chugging along... Oh ya, my hubby still vacuums, I still can't do that one. I can, but it puts me down for a couple of days.
  • I love to hear good recovery stories like yours. Keep up the good work and God bless you and yours! I to am sorry you still have pain.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.