Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dgardineerddgardineer Posts: 158
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Spinal Injections
I'm scheduling my discogram tomorrow i've heard bad things about it , can anyone give me an honest idea of the hell I'm going to be put through?

• I am scheduled for one next Tuesday and my pain management doctor was pretty honest about the pain involved. You get "twighlight sedation" (vercet) and he said some people feel "pressure" as the dye is injected, and some have to stop from the pain. The range of reactions I'm sure is as broad as the range of people. He said "prepare for the worst and hope for the best." He did admit that it "may" be uncomfortable, but as soon as they find the problem, they shoot in Lidocaine and it's all over. I asked for an epidural after, and he said they had never done that, but it made sense to do so. Maybe I can get some pain relief for the first time in years?

I'm taking no chances and taking a Clonipin and Vicodin beforehand!

I was misdiagnosed with sacroiliitis 10 years ago and got injections for years, with no relief. (No doctor ever ordered x-rays or an MRI)My new doctor oredred both and found a annual fissure pressing on a nerve root at L5S1. Before he has an idea where to go, I have to get this and a CT done. I'm hoping if I need surgery, it will only be a microdiscectomy.
    I ride horses for a living and cannot be done for long.

I hope yours goes well, and keep us posted.
  • well I had mine today and it was horrible the pain was the worst I've felt times 10.
  • Hello dardineer I hear you on the pain. Did your doc. share any results with you after the procedure. I had my 1st in April 07 and another 1 year later. The 1st one was not to bad and it did confirm many things with my spine. The 2nd one was awful, positive at 3 levels with tears at 4 levels loss of disc height @ 5,4,3 and L5/s1 was ruptured and leaking into the epidural channel. I have been told by my PM doc that reproducing the normal pain in the disc's are what he was looking for as well as degeneration of the disc's. Has your pain subsided as of yet? I was told to call after a couple days if pain levels worsened or if the needle sites were red and very warm. My issue was the pain I had endured during the procedure did not lessen up. So I do hope your acute pain has subsided and if not perhaps you should call the physician. As for spinal injections I suppose over the past 3 years I have had 12-14 and for me sometimes they bring my pain down but in my experience that never lasted beyond 2-3 weeks. So I usually have one done during a major flare-up to try to settle things down. Hope things work out for you and god bless
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I've never had one. Here is an article provided by Spine-Health

What is a Discogram
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com