Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what type of exercises could I do

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have had this DDD since 1999. Had surgery 2000 I was good for 2 years now it has been creeping back then it stop for about 1 year and now it is bad hard core. I have been on all sorts of medication and some bed rest.And now it's been about 6 months that I have gained alot of weight;now they are talking once again surgery but I am not ready for it;so I feel that I need to try and lose some weight and try to strengthen my upper body.
If anyone could give some suggestions I would greatly appreciated it very much.

Thank You

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it takes alot of determination to take weight off! we face a real battle with weight loss in that pain often means we cannot exercise enough. ~X( i have taken off 13 pounds by reducing my calories and walking when i can. there are things you can do to strengthen your core like using the Exercise Ball. =D> there is info about the ball under "All Pain Topics A-Z." swimming is always a great exercise and one that is painless in the water! i think you are so smart to want to try some other treatments before you head to surgery!!!i have DDD and use conservative measures to treat my pain. good luck and pm me anytime you need support! :D Jenny :)
  • Of course I'm all for excercise and have a recumbent bicycle, slim glider and soon a manual treadmill. I need to lose 50 pounds I gained being on meds and inactivity due to pain. First make sure you have clearence from your Dr to do excercise. But alot is like Jenny said is portion control. Ask your Dr if you waited longer to have surgery would it cause me more harm? Also maybe even have an EMG. What kind of surgery did you have? And have you seen a Pain Management Dr? or had injections or nerve pain meds? Good luck that is a difficult decision and I think you should feel more comfortable in making it even with a 2nd opinion. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN