Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Hardware removed from c6/c7 fusion. Anyone had this done?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had two fusions of c6/c7. First one Posterior then a year later anterior fusion because the first didn't fuse. The upper back and neck give me constant pain. Also, where the skin from my posterior fusion was stapled, the scar stretched and is now about an inch wide where one of my vertebrea sort of show a big lump in the middle of the scar. Like there is no muscle covering it just scar tissue. Anyway, this is where the pain is most. I had a CT done last week and it looks like the fusion has taken. Doctor said one option may be to remove the hardware. Im curious is this removal will fix this lump in my back and let the muscles heal over the spine like normal again. Also, how much recovery time will this take. And do I get to keep the titanium hardware?

• Hi kevin,

first let me say welcome to spine-health. There are a lot of carrying people here who have gone through your very same surgery, myself included. Per my surgeon the posterior muscle should it atrophy there is no getting that back. So in other words need to work on the things that can help strengthen the other muscles. I have had hardware removed as well. I'm confused was your first surgery anterior and then the second surgery was posterior. I did get to keep one set of hardware but my last request was denied. I can tell you getting out is much easier than putting it in and the recovery is shorter. But the same risk apply with removal as does with the original surgery. Anyway good luck with the removal and keep us posted on how you do. Once again welcome to spine-health.
  • Hello Kevin,
    I have had hardware removed to make room for more, both time anterior. I wonder like tamtam why the doctor did posterior surgery first and then anterior, but different doctors do things in different ways. I do know that posterior surgery takes longer to recover from that anterior, due to the amount of muscle that needs to be cut and repaired. Good luck.

• I was just told that my hardware will probably have to be removed as well.

Personally, I feel SO much better knowing it's in there.

It's just that they think the muscle pain issues I'm having are because of the screw heads - right now I'm waiting to see if it starts to feel better. If it continues to give me this backache (every day, all the way up to my shoulder blades) then I might be convinced.