Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm back ! Ans very unsteady

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing ok, as well as we can expect anyway. Sorry I've been off the radar lately but I managed to take a fall and broken my wrist (Colles fracture) so have been in plaster for weeks !

Added to my neck problems, it's been a real bad month.

I've now started to stagger, and be off-balance. It's really weird, I always seem to veer off to the left hand side. Crashing into doors, and have just tried and find it almost impossible to walk a straight line.

No change to medications, Still on Gabapentin, and Bubrenorphine patches. And have been for the past 2 months, so I'm not sure I can blame those. It's just this past week really. I am unhappy about climbing into the bath, I can't take a shower, coz if I close my eyes, I will fall down, and if I look up I get very dis-orientated

Am assuming that this is all to do with my bulging discs and bone spurs at C5 and C6 ?

Are there any other fellow 'drunken like staggerers' out there? Can we fix it ?

• Sorry about eh wrist, how did you break it - did your dizziness have anything to do with the break?

I have problems in the same area of the cervical that you do...and yes, I will go thru periods where - closing the eyes is dangerous thing.

Don't know if you get the same occurances from going horizontal to vertical or the other way around, but climbing into bed would make me so nervous...i would get bed spins, and if i turned my head to left while lying down - the whole house did a loop-de-loop!

I spoke @ this to one doc - he told me to see an ENT - I can say the worst has past with that, and from time to time, i do still get them - had 2 occassions yesterday in fact - standing position, but i must have moved wrong and it all went dizzy.

Not sure how they started,where they come from or why now it is not as bad, but glad it is more infrequent then it had been. Don't think that helped outside of - you are not the only one.

• Thanks to you both for your comments. It has been a worry, as it's only been going on for the last week or so.
    Getting up certainly makes it worse, as down bending forward, so try to avoid those, or do it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

The wrist, We had a small covering of snow here in the UK a few weeks ago, and of course, the UK cannot cope with this. Neither it seems could I. Went out for a walk, as I find that helps to loosen me up a bit and helps my Cervical pain. Turned awkwardly and over I went, onto soft snow. Doc has now ordered a DEXA scan, to check for Osteporosis, since it was a severe break from only a standing position.

The wrist is healing now, but you know, even on Gabapentin and Burenorphine is still hurt like crazy when I did it.

• have you had an mri done since you fell and broke your arm? could the fall possibly made your neck worse? i had and still have balance issues,but my spinal cord was compressed at three levels. Its gotten much better since my operation but i still have to be careful how quickly i do things or i get that dizzy feeling. My balance was so off that i couldn't walk straight without using a cane.Now i've put it away and haven't used it since a month after my surgery. Just a thought.