Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TMJ after wearing collar

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone experienced this? After and during the wearing of my Miami J collar for almost 7 weeks my jaw hurt ans still hurts unbelievably. It feels like my bottom teeth have moved forward and my bite in the back is off. I mentioned it to my surgeon yesterday and he said to see a Dentist it may be TMJ. I know I don't grind my teeth and I am sure it was the collar, has anyone ever had this I see the Dentist tomorrow but I was just wondering.

• I didn't experience the problem you're having when I wore my collar, but then I only wore it for four weeks. Does your jaw feel better when you take the collar off?

Let us know what the dentist says.

• The Dentist says its TMJ in my Jaw. And he says its pretty common after wearing these types of collars. He is making me a mouth piece that I will have to wear at night. Its almost as if my bottom jaw sort of pushed forward.

Who knew this could happen you wear it to fix one thing and it breaks something else!!

Oh well they don't call me lucky for nothing!!
  • I have been in my collar since August, I take it off for several hours per day but I wear it alot. I had alot of earaches but not TMJ.
  • Cyndi

Its funny you mentioned earaches because at first thats what I thought mine was. My ear was hurting all night thats how it started. Then a few days later I realized it was actually my jaw...weird.
  • Libby - I got TMJ about four weeks after surgery (one of those "just shoot me" type weeks), ended up in physical therapy for it once the brace was off. Nice thing was, the physical therapist my oral surgeon recommended specialized in cervical vertebrae - she was amazing. The jaw exercises look a little weird, but definitely worked after a few weeks. Hang in there.