Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feedback on Cervical Injury Please !!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a 39 year old male very recently diagnosed with the following:

Bilateral uncovertebral joint arthropathy of the c6/7 level, more severe on the left as well as focal left posteolateral disc herniation resulting in severe left foraminal stenosis and likely compromise of the exiting c7 nerve root"

In laymen's terms I am in the most pain I've ever experienced and it is unrelenting. Anyone with a similiar injury that can give me some feedback on the injury, surgery, etc as well as any suggestions on an effective pain killer that won't make me feel like a zombie all day. I am currently on Morphine and Gabopentin.

Thank-you and I sympathize with all those who suffer from this and more severe unjuries.

Take care

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. I guess if you question what all that means? Those sound kind of like the MRI findings. What kind of Doctor is treating you and ordered the films? I see your on Gabopentin but what level are you currently taking and or how long? There are many conservative routes you can try that may lesson your pain. Have your tried physical therapy, selective nerve root block, epidural steriod injections, accupuncture, myofacial message. Those are just a few options you can try. Once they do surgery on the spine it is forever altered. Before doing such a thing I would seek out a second opinion. I do hope that you find relief from the pain, as nerve pain is no fun at all. anyway welcome to spine-health and browse around there is a lot of information here as well as the forums. Keep us posted on how you do.
  • Thank-you for your reply. Those are indeed the MRI findings. I am scheduled to see a neuro surgeon on Tuesday March 10 and we'll go from there. I am on a very low dose of Gabo but it isn't working. Morphine works for the most part. I have been to Physio and they have done Ultra sound and traction on me. The traction gives me relief while I am on the machine but pain is back shortly after I stand up again. Haven't tried accupunture as of yet nor have I tried epidural steroid, myofacial, or selective nerve root. I hope to find some relief somewhere.
  • You've come to a great place here where many of us know exactly what you are going through.

The kind of pain you are having is hard to treat. I've been told that most opiod medications don't touch nerve pain, so your doc is wise to have you on gabapentin. It takes a long time to titrate the dosage enough to get some relief from it though. or you can try lyrica, which is in the same family but a newer medication and some people get help from lyrica when neurontin doesn't do the job.

You wouldn't have awful radiating arm and scapular pain would you? The nerve that was being compressed severely prior to my ACDF was the left exiting C7 nerve root, and about the only way I could tolerate the throbbing/burning pain was by raising my arm above my head as if I were sitting in a classroom wanting to answer a question. But nothing really took it away.

One thing I would suggest is the "thermacare therawraps" you can purchase at walmart or a similar type store. I would drape it over my shoulderblade and against my neck, and this helped to keep the muscles from spasming as much. They heat up by using your own body heat, and htye stay hot for up to 8 hours. Amazing things, but a little bit pricey.

Research things such as foraminal stenosis, nerve root compression, and herniations to familiarize yourself with the medical terminology. You can see diagrams of the cervical spine on this site.

I wish you luck with your appointment.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!