Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

To Bed or Not to Bed....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Sleep Problems
To Bed or Not to Bed....
My wife and I we're considering Tempur-Pedic; however we we're introduced to Comfort-Pedic by Simmons. Ive read some of the articles here and many posts here. I've not seen any comments on the CPS and I've not Talked with my Doc yet and will be undergoing surgery here in the next month-month and a half(L4-L5-S-1 Multi level fusion).
Comments not advice please. I will talk with Doc first before I proceed with purchase and as far as who to buy from I have few options to play with(NOT having a sales person pressuring us).
Tempur would be a heat problem with me so I'm looking into the other fields of options. I'm looking foward to getting folks thoughts so I can do the positive and negatives with what I've noticed the other day from shopping and making sure I get all bases covered. I did like the CPS pillows and as far as the Meds; I'm tired of the last 2 years of pills for sleep. Just venting folks and Thanks in advance for your inputs. No salespeople please.

• I believe it is a Sealy combo bed. It is like a Temper-Pedic and a traditional bed combined. We really like it and find it quite comfortable. Some bed styles are too hot but not this one, it's just right. I especially like the lack of movement I feel when my husband gets up in the morning. The bed is very stable and I don't feel any effects from his moving. I love my bed and would never go back to a box spring and standard mattress set. I wish you luck in your search, just remember you normally get a 30-90 night warranty with the new bed. Return it if you don't love it. Best Wishes
  • I noticed that it seemed similar to the baffeling systems type from waterbeds, when it came to firmness and other movement. I sank right into the Celebrity mattress. Too munch work to get in and out. Yes we'll be watching out for the trials.
  • I love my sleep number. It did take a month or so to get comfortable all the time. I had slept in a waterbed for over 20 years. But now I am very glad to have made the purchase. We went in two or three times and tried out the different styles, then talked to some people we knew had the type of bed. They recommended buying the bed two levels up from the bottom level. I have to agree, you did not have to buy the top of the line to get a good bed that was comfortable. I did buy a pillow for a side sleeper, but it is not worth the money, its not terrible but I could find one I like for much less.
    Happy bed hunting, it took me quite a while to make the final decision, I did not want to be stuck with something I was uncomfortable sleeping.
    I also am having a multi-level L4-S1 Fusion, March 24. I can let you know how sleeping works after surgery if you like.
    Take care,
  • It'll probably scare the :jawdrop: out of me. If you can PM my wife(shelldarling) or I with the name brand on the mattress please.
    We go this Tues to my Doc for our surgery date. We were hopping to make it to just after Easter. I think my back has other plans.
    Good Luck
    Dan and Shell
  • Just wanted to let you know that we have a Spring Air - Memory Foam, which is like the tempur-pedic. I personally love this bed. However, my wife who has the bad back does not love this bed. She is on day 3 after lower spinal fusion surgery and she really does not like this bed today. The height is fine to easily sit into the bed, but then you sink and cannot move. Once she adjusts onto the bed, she cannot lower herself back onto the pillows because the pit your butt makes. This holds her into place and you do not easily slide down the bed. She is on slik sheets and still gets stuck at this point. She has to roll over onto her side where she can adjust better to move down the bed. I wish I had bought the sleep number bed.
  • Thanks Mellie, We've looked more into the Comfor-Pedic beds and found tht we we're indecisive with the actual beds. I went for the Natural and Shell went fo the Mystere. I actually had to teach our sales person or at least introduced her to 3 other models. She in turn had to deal with her distributor; who knows nothing of the new products. Hmmmmm how do you not know that your company added to its www page last year? Mystere is looking good for us. I'm interested in checking the Arianna bed out first. The pillow Breeeze was also a body grabber? Wonder if the Nuvo pillow is better?
    Anyway thanks and hope the 2 of ya cn come to a decision together.
  • my wife and i bought the top of the range tempur bed .it looked lovely but both my wife and i hated it as it was too hard and for me impossible to get off in the middle of the night .however i can recommend a velda or other electrical adjustable bed with a sprung mattress with a 2 inch layer of memory foam on the top.its a superb bed and far superior to the tempur version .you can get a twin super king size bed put a nice 6 ft head board on it and it just looks like a large bed with independent control for you and your partner.if you live in the UK got to sleepmasters because the have the velda bed but under there name its called the sensor foam revolution .i believe that velda are a world wide company .the velda original is called the proflex 30 with a bodyprint mattress well worth it
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Wellness center which has information regarding SLEEP products.
    My wife and I purchased a Select Comfort about 10 years ago.
    This bed had two individual air bladders so that each of us could control the softness or firmness.
    This was great because there were times when I wanted to sleep on a rock and other times wanted to be surround by the bed.
    We recently added a mattress cover, that was even better.
    For me, the Air bladder control was the best.

You know when you go out a test drive a new car!
    Well, do the same when purchasing a mattress!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've had the exact same bed as PapaRon for six years and hubby and I both love it. I've never slept better (and I'm a terrible sleeper - must be dark, wear earplugs, covers must be just right, etc.). I also bought a temper-pedic pillow ($125 - ack) and love it too, it's great support for my neck.

Just a warning, tho: you can get a wireless remote or wired dual remotes. We initially chose the wireless but apparently there was some interference with a neighbor in some way and the sleep numbers would go up and down all night by itself. We changed to the wired and no more problems. LOL