Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Spinal Stenosis

I have spondylolisthesis and stenosis, and walking is becoming impossible. Even standing for more than 5-6 mins. is becoming painful.

Two extra-strength Tylenols or two ibuprofens do nothing for the pain.

Would love to hear from others about pain relief--

• Did you have an xray, MRI or CT to diagnose with spondylolisthesis? If so, your doctor should help you with the pain rather than taking extra strength tylenols. Do you know what grade of spondy at your in?

Usually for spondylolisthesis depending on the grade, doctors may suggest fusion surgery. But for the time being, doctors may prescribe some pain medication to help you.

I had spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis but waited till grade 3 before I had fusion surgery. While I was in grade 1 and 2, I was on vicodin and valium, when it became grade 3, the doctor prescribed percocet, oxy 20mg, valium, and lyrica. My doctor didn't allowed me to do extend PT during that period, he was afraid that the fracture would get worse and the slippage will totally crushed the herniated disc.

I hope you will find some form of relieve soon. Try icing your back in the mean time.
  • :H I can relate to the not being able to stand for long and feel much better sitting. I have found that Lyrica helps with the nerve pain down my legs, I also take Raliva (a time released form of Tramadol) and I do take T3 for breakthrough pain. Not doing much is the best pain relief but I am too young to stop living so I really hope surgery helps me. I hope you can get some relief from your Stenosis. Talk to you Doctor, and read lots on this site for information and support.
    Nana Shan
  • I was in your shoes up until I had fusion. I tried to avoid it for about three years, but finally got to the point where I could not stand for more than about a minute and I was driving to the end of my driveway to get the mail. I was not taking any meds, because as soon as I sit or lie down, I am pain-free (or close to it)and they did nothing for the pain. (I also had spondylolisthesis which further caused the nerve compression.)

I had a one level fusion 16 months ago and am better, but unfortunately, not pain-free.

I assume most of your pain is caused by having a compressed nerve or nerves from the stenosis and spondy. Pain medications do not touch this kind of pain. You might try one of the meds that do help nerve pain such as Lyrica or neurontin (generic gabapentin). These help reduce pain in some people. Most people end up, sooner or later, needing surgery for stenosis.