Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Does anyone feel not supported?

charryccharry Posts: 5,660
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Depression and Coping
:(
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• Yes....especially tonight..It has been 5 months since my accident and I think my family especially is tired of mommy not being like she used to be...I feel like no one does any additional help since my accident and I have to beg...I try to explain that I am exhausted and I hurt..It is so hard as with depression, pain does not show...I have both and I don't feel like anyone close to me gets it...And tonight I was so upset..I started on methadone yesterday...I was freaking out anyway having to take this but then I started having wierd side effects and they laughed at me when I called the doctor to see if my symptoms were not dangerous..the doc told me to discontinue...So to answer your question I DO NOT FEEL SUPPORTED...I'm assuming you feel the same as well...Good luck with things...Thanks for letting me vent...Amy
  • Charry and Amy, I completely understand the feeling of not getting any support. For a long time I felt like I was just beating my head against the wall when someone tried to understand what I was feeling and what I was going through. And it seems the ones that understand the least are my co-workers. They say I am faking all of this and am "milking" the system. If that is what I am doing why would I go through 2 very painful and unsuccessful surgeries, 10 stellage ganglion nerve blocks - which are terribly painful, repeated PT, splints - you name it I have been through it. If I was faking the injury why would I put myself through all of this knowing that pain is a trigger for my panic attacks??? People just dont get it if it not happening to them. Hang in there. We are not alone in our pain and you have all of us for support so vent all you want.
    Hope it gets better for you.

Jacque
  • advertisement
  • Every now and again I see signs most of my so-workers get it. Today I was standing talking and I had raised my bad arm up and hooked my fingers in a piece of wire mesh that forms a cage around an area. When I wanted to move my arm I reached over with my good arm and lifted the bad one up so I could let go of the mesh and lower my bad arm supporting it with the good one. At that moment my co-worker asked me what I was doing. So I explained that I can hook my fingers in the mesh and stand there comfortably, but I can't raise of lower the arm withoue pain. So I use the good arm to lift it! He was amazed I had to do that, but I could see he got it, he understood that I wasn't making it up.

I honestly see more support and understanding from my work place than my family at home.
  • I feel support only here on these forums and chats
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,623
    This topic has been discussed many times on this board as well on the older Spine-Health site.
    I cant even begin to figure out why, what and how this happens.
    I think part of it is because many people can not completely understand what a person with chronic pain has to deal with.

I've been lucky, I have received tons of support from my family and friends.

So often, the lack of support comes from the fact that unless you have walked the streets of chronic pain, you dont understand and therefore you may not receive support
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • charry,i receive lots of support from my husband and my dog!! :X the support on the forums is sorely lacking for me. i don't even ask for it anymore. i find it better to give than to receive anyway.. =D> less broken hearts that way!! i know many people on here receive lots of support and for them i am very happy! :D i am here for you!! :D it sounds like you feel as i do tonight! [( Jenny :)
  • That you're not supported at home. No one can imagine the pain we're going through and we wouldn't want to wish it on anyone. I hope the methadone is working for you now, is it? Thanks for sharing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I bet are painful. I get facet joint injections and they're very deep injections and uncomfortable. I know I've had a coworker who's been supportive sending me get well cards but it slipped out she would like to get a couple of paid years off and then go back to work. I know she didn't mean it but hopefully my co-workers aren't thinking I'm faking. Not much to do about it anyway that I can't work. I hope it gets better for you at work. Take care. Charry
  • I'm glad your co-workers are starting to be supportive. I guess it's difficult for family to deal with long term pain and not able to be supportive for some reason. Take care and hope the SCS is a success for you. Charry
  • I get most of my support here also. I wish some family members were able to understand more also. What is your history again Craig? It's hard to remember everyone's dianosis and treatment although we're all spiney friends. Take care. Charry
advertisement