Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 Two months post op still having issues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an L5-S1 microlumbar discectomy 2 months ago. I still have some sciatica pain. It's mostly movement oriented; I feel it when I walk. But today I had a severe jolt of pain when I stood up after laying on my stomach, on the floor.

I'm really discouraged by this. Following surgery, strength returned to my left leg and I thankfully still have that. But if anything pain has slowly been getting worse over the past several weeks.

Is it still too early to be concerned or should I go get reevaluated? Thanks.

• Hi,
    Sorry I can't answer your question precisely, the most I can do is give you some encouragement and a little bit of an answer. I had a PLIF with donor bone and hardware at L5-S1 in Sept. '08, and unfortunately, another surgery in Jan. '09 for an infection deep in at the hardware.
    At the original 2 months post op I still had some pain, and issues, as they say the nerves are regenerating from being aggravated from before and after surgery. Glad to hear your strength is returning to the leg though. If you are real concerned give your doctor a call & ask, that's what they are there for.
    I wish you well in your recovery.
  • Unfortunately, it is possible that you have reherniated the disc. It may be nothing, but you may as well call your surgeon and have it checked out. No sense in letting months go by thinking you're making some progress, if, in realty, there is a problem, new or not.
  • how do you know if you reherniated or if its just normal soreness and healing? WIthout getting to the dr everytime it hurts because I would be there every week if I did that? I am about 12 weeks post op for a microlumbar discectomy on the L5-S1 I was feeling better finally last week and then all the sudden the soreness is back. I feel like i've had the wind knocked out of me...