Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

home from surgery and hurtin for certain

ouchoouch Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thank you for all your support, my spine health family! I am up at 3:56am hurting after surgery and wishin you all were awake. I go to bed pretty comfy but when i wake up later BLAM pain galore! Anyone else have that after surgery? (I just had my surgery on the 4th of March so this is new). Also, I hear a little bit of crud in my lungs (crackles for your medical-type folks). Hey my spiney friends wake up I need someone to talk to! *tootin da horn*

Love you guys so much for your friendship,

• That's great your home safe. I wish you less pain days ahead! You're up early and I'm just going to bed. I hope that cough gets better too. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Most of my pain is from the muscle spasms along with the throat pain. I had my surgery on the 3rd, so I'm one day before you. They gave me two weeks of pain meds and said I need to call for a refill if I need more.

In the hospital I was coughing up green gunk. Eeeewwww, gross. My lungs have been pretty clear since I've coughed it all up.

• I hope you heal speedily also. That just isn't right about meds for only 2 weeks. I wonder if they expect that you're cured on day 14 so you won't need meds. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey Ouch! I don't know where you live but I was up at around 2:00 am. The oral steroids kept me awake and a little bit of pain.

Enough about me. I am glad to hear that you are safely out of surgery. Sorry about the pain. Wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery.

Keep us updated.
  • So happy to see your replies! Thanks for the get well wishes too. Best medicine in da world ;o) thank you,
    Bubbles I think you are right bout the alarm. Geeze that was no fun wakin up to that much pain....grrrrrrrrrrrr
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hope your doing better with time, wish I could have kept you company while you couldn't sleep. It's hard to keep ahead of the pain with meds especially if you are sleeping well before it hits. Take care and hope to be chatting with you soon.
    Take care,
  • Isn't it the greatest feeling being home after surgery? I remember the night I was in the hospital I kept waking up and the first thing I'd think was "OMG, I'm going to have spine surgery". Then I'd realize I already did! LOL Our minds are so very strange sometimes.

Anyway, welcome home. I hope you'll have to change your name from "Ouch" soon. :D

• Good luck in recovery, it gets better. The alarm to get the meds in on time will help you so much. Pain is something you must stay ahead of. Once you let it get too bad it is hard to get control back. My body seemed to wake me after 4 or so hours so I kept a water bottle and meds next to my bed so I wouldn't have to get up. Hang in there it gets better and if your lungs don't clear up call the doctor.
  • You are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recover.
  • During my recovery I've watched lots of movies between two and five in the morning. It's not much fun being alone in pain.

I hope you feel better soon, and start sleeping comfortably through those lonely hours.
  • the throat pain and neck pain is normal. i had the pain for at least 2 weeks bad. then it gradually went away. have someone rub the back of your neck and shoulders , that helped me quite a bit. otherwise im already back to work less than 3 months post op. im not on as much but im around so if youve got any questions let me know.
  • Hey just saw your post. I hope you slept better last night. I'm praying for you for a speedy recovery. If you need anything pm me. Here's to pain free day's ahead.
  • Here is the progress so far.

I am still home, mostly still in bed from Feb 9th surgery. My first surgery went well, and as soon as I woke up, I felt substantial relief. A few years later, I had my second surgery. The symptoms before my first surgery were all in my back. The symptoms before the second surgery were in my back and legs, and were excruciating. The first two surgeries were L5-S1 lamenectomies. The scar tissue from the first surgery had wrapped around my nerves like vines. Therefore every time I moved, they tightened, and it was unbelievable. For the third surgery, there was leakage from the disc, and the doctor told me that there was still some liquid left in the disc, and I would have probable had to have another surgery if he had only done a lamenectomy again. The pain before the third surgery was not as bad as before the third, but I knew it could get worse very quickly. Before the second surgery, I went from walking fine, to only being able to walk short distances, with a cane, in a week. When I scheduled the second surgery, I did not have it done right away. I saw the doctor on a Tuesday, and had him schedule it for the following Thursday, instead of that Thursday. That was a HUGE mistake. I was in so much pain; I wished someone would just shoot me. But, like the first time, I woke up from surgery, and the pain was gone. I can tell you the pain after the third was more than what it was before the surgery. It has taken about 3 weeks to get full, but careful movement to return. From my standpoint, you will have to determine if you can live with your current pain, and deal with the fact that you may wake up one day, and it is worse, and as the day progresses it does not get any better. How my pain started for the third one, was a Charlie Horse in my lower left leg that would not go away. When it started, I thought maybe it would take a day or two to go away, but it never did. Now all my leg pain is gone, but there is still some lower back pain and stiffness. Especially when I wake up in the morning.

Yesterday was the first day I left the house, except for follow up. My wife and kids took me to a festival at San Francisco Plantation. Her and her friends arranged to have the car about 15 feet from where I would be, and about 300 yards closer than the handicap parking. One hard chair with a pillow, and one soft chair. I did alot of walking, with my cane. Have not been using a cane for about a week and a half, but due to not being as familar as I am with my house and yard, thought it best.

It will get better, just give it time. Just don't do anything stupid. I have read on here about people not knowing why they were in pain again. It was just something that happened about a month after surgery, while they were at the gym. DUH!!
  • Once again, thank you all for your kind words and for your words of wisdom. padams, sounds like you have had quite the journey, wow. I hope you continue to heal and be able to take on more and more as time passes. I feel good enough to take a short walk, but I think I will wait until I hear from the doc on whether or not it is okay to do so (I put in a call to him today). My balance is a bit awkward yet. Cliffy, congrats on your return to work after such a short time! yahoo! mom, Frog, cbs, Pika, cath, Ranger, BG and teacher thanks for the encouragement. When I cant sleep it helps to read these posts....so uplifting! I am staying on top of the pain control.

I have two issues that puzzle me though: why is it hard to pee STILL (I had a very difficult time urinating at the hospital, and I couldn't pee at all this morning until I walked around and around) and I have some balance issues. It feels so weird. Both are worse in the morning when I first wake up. Anyone else having urinary stuff going on or am I alone in this?
  • I couldn't pee either in the hosp. I needed to be cathed. Since then I've been able to go pretty eaisly.

How are you feeling today? I've been feeling pretty low and extremely sore today. Grrrrrr.....
  • Hi Nicole,
    Nice to know someone else had urinary issues after surgery. Sorry you are feeling low though. Are you feeling depressed because of pain? I hear you about being sore. This afternoon I was feeling a little better so I was walking around a bit and doing little things, but now...ouch! So, I am feeling a bit sore too. Overall, I feel happy that most of the symptoms I had before the surgery are gone. Heck, I am happy just to be alive and walking! My herniation was huge and the surgery was a little dangerous because it was so near to the cord. What kind of surgery did you get Nicole? Was your surgery neck or back surgery? Did everything go okay? If you don't want to tell why you are feeling low publicly , please PM me. I would love to listen and to chat.
  • The first week or so I was in the most horrible pain. Id set the alrm claock.. it soo important to keep ahead of the pain because once its outta control its alot harder to get it back under control.
    I being me, would call your doc and mention the lungs and coughing up stuff, your not as mobile right not and I wouldnt want to end up with resp infection at the least.
    Good luck to you and remember its on day at a time!!
  • Hey there Laura, sorry I have not talked to you in so long, I havent been in chat much these days. I am so happy to hear that your surgery went well, I know you had a bad situation there with your neck.

Well, I just wanted to say hello and say how happy I am for you that the surgery went well. I would watch over doing it, and def. get your surgeons ok prior to doing too much. Take care, and hope to talk to you soon....Mitch
  • My C5-6 was pressing against my spinal cord. The surgeon said that it was pressing on my spinal cord a bit more then what the MRI had shown. The surgery went really well, it's the recovery that is so difficult. Not sure why my body takes this recovery so hard.
  • The problems in the morning are normal. Due to the fact that you are not moving much during the night, that may never go away. I have had that problem for years. I never had a problem using the bathroom, except for the normal stuff due to the medication. Did have a problem getting there in time, LOL. You will get there, just take your time on doing things. If you slightly question something you want to do, DON'T DO IT!! The first couple times you twist at the waist, or bend, take it slowly.
  • Ouch, if your urination issues continue, you might want to go to the doc and make sure you don't have a urethra infection. I had that once and wore a catheter for a while which allowed the urethra to relax and get back to normal. If worse comes to worst, one of the - well - better (but yucky) ways to get it to relax temporarily so you can pee is to sit in a very hot tub until you can let 'er rip.

Good luck, happy healing and NO BLT!
  • i had my surgery last thursday tlif l5 s1, and i got home yesterday from hospital, i have trouble peeing, and for the first few days it was really frightening, the evening of my surgery, i woke up without a catheter dont know why, and couldnt pee on a bed pan at all, was in excrutiating pain, but had to get up and on a commode 5 times that first night....wow that was real bad..made worse by me being allergic to the morphine pain pump and having it removed a couple of hours after surgery. i couldnt for the life of me get it out, i think i only peed on the commode cos i was throwing up with dizziness while sitting there, and the being sick made me pee!

I was actually tested for cauda equina syndrome, but i think cos my bowels are not all over the place and im not actually weeing myself im ok. (i did wee myself once actually, but the doc asked this question in front of my other half so i said no)

im home now and hurting, but improving quicker than i thought i would, hope your improving too

• I am surprised that the did not give you phenigan. That helps with the nausea. I never had trouble using it when I got to it, it was getting to the bathroom in time. My Blood Pressure meds sends me into overdrive for about 3 hours each day. This starts about 1 hour after I take it. I had to head to the bathroom when I first started feeling it coming on. If I waited, it was really adding to the pain. Hurt in the front. Hurt in the back. Then it would start again in about 30 minutes.
  • im sorry i wasnt online when you couldnt sleep. i hope your doing well, and i wish you a speedy recovery with little pain....take care...m