Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am not sure

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I am new here, first and foremost... I will give you a little background info in myself before I proceed. I am a 25 year old mother of 4 (yes, I am crazy:) and fertile apparently). I have had back and neck pain ever since I can remember(even elementary school). I finally went to the chiropractor after my first child was born(I was 19), he took x-rays and was a life saver, I went to him for over a year until my insurance stopped covering him. He said that my back and neck were a mess, he re-adjusted me as needed, I could just walk into his office and he would make room for me. During this time I was still in pain, but it was a little better, and kept getting a little better at a time, that is until coverage stopped. He told me my coverage was going to stop, and due to my problems he would continue seeing me at a very discounted price (20$ a visit) and I would go see him as much as we could afford, which dropped off when my husband lost his job.
He told me that my pelvis sat at a 45 degree angle, I had 2 curves in my spine (before my neck), my neck had cervical ribs off one of the vertebrae, and I had no curve in my neck, which he referred to as "military neck".
Fast forward a few years(after baby #3) and living on eating ibuprofen and aspirin like candy(I probably upped the stock a good amount) I go to a CPN and mention this all to her and ask if she could do something- anything, I didn't care, as long as I was out of pain, even prescription ibuprofen, to save me a little on the constant cost, she prescribed aleeve, which was just a taunt it seemed. She just made me bend over as far as I could, at this point I could not even touch my knees, and felt my spine, said she could find nothing wrong and sent me for x rays...
During the hellish (yes they were!) x rays I was made to lay flat on my back (agony) the x ray tech kept re-adjusting my pelvis, saying it needed to be straight to get the right x rays (I tried to tell her that it wasn't going to work). The x ray tech finally said I was being uncooperative and that she was going to tell the CPN as much, and she did.
I went back to the CPN and I described my experience and told her that there was a chiropractor here in town that had x rays of my back and would gladly send copies to her. Her response was to tell me that chiropractors were quacks and she would not take his word! She sent me to get a MRI.
I go to get the MRI done. I am scheduled to go back in about 2 weeks. In this time my husband dies. I call her and tell her I need to reschedule and what happened, she tells me she needs me in the office to go over it, I tell her I am in no condition mentally to do much beyond take care of my 3 kids(the youngest is 7 months at the time) and myself and funeral stuff, I am going to HAVE to reschedule, so she reschedules me for 3 MONTHS later, and was for lack of better word, pissy over the fact my husband died, and I was inconveniencing her. I never went back. I have been to the ER several times since(when I hurt so bad my father had to come and get my kids, and my boyfriend had to carry me, crying, to the car and into the hospital) and they just act like I am trying to get drugs, which I am, for pain, not recreational, like they think, or they just leave me in a room for 4-8 hours without sending a doctor in and when I send someone out they have no other patients and are sitting at the desk gossiping, no nurses had even seen me at the 4 hour point.
I am having a horrible time of finding anyone that believes me. I think it maybe because I am so young and my area is having a bad time with opiate addiction. I can get everyday people to believe me, but they cannot do much legally for me.
I am so fed up. Please someone tell me what can I do, beyond spending every waking moment looking for a doctor and dragging 4 kids with me to every one of them (which does not help my case). It takes every ounce of energy for me to do things to maintain my family most days. There are some days I feel great, but those are less and less.

• You've been through so much already. I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. I can't imagine morning the loss of your husband, raising 3 (now 4) kids in addition to living with chronic pain. Can't you get to another doc and have them review your MRI? I would suggest you find another primary care doc. Is there any other docs in that same office? I'm sorry about the poor treatment you recieved from this doc too. You should've reported her.

The abuse of prescription drugs is out of control all over the place so I don't think that it matters where you are, you will probably have to deal with the stigma of that. That is one of the many challenges us chronic pain sufferers have to face. I can only say you need to be 100% honest with your docs and make them understand and listen to you and not disregard you just because you are young.

I just commented to another post before reading this one about being young and dealing with back pain. I fought for 6 yrs for docs to take me serious because I was in my early 20's when mine got real bad. Docs kept saying I was too young to be having this many problems with my back and I just needed to get used to it cuz I was too young. Once I pushed the issue and did just about every conservative treatment you can think of without releif they finally took me serious.

I don't know what other advice to give you to get the docs to listen to you. I know the docs would finally listen to me when I would start crying in frustration and cuz I was in so much pain. I can offer you support and understanding of how you are feeling and I hope that helps. Please feel free to PM me anytime you'd like. I pray you will get a doc to listen to you and take you serious soon.
  • Watch the ibuprofin intake, your liver will thank you for it, two, fight for your rights!!!
    it takes a while and its violently frustrating to a person to be "made" to jump through very small hoops to get ANY help.
    dont give up yet and dont give in k!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• sjcsmc,

Do you have a family doctor? Maybe you could go to him and he could recommend you to a neurosurgeon? And possibly give you something to help with your pain until you see the neuro.

• sorry that you are in pain ..and sorry about your husband what a nightmare.!! i know what you mean about having to lay flat for x rays it hurts like hell {i had a recent MRI and had to lay in the bloody tube for an hour i was close to crying when i come out!}.laying flat for me is a no.no
    i hope that you can find friendship and some advice here at spine health
This discussion has been closed.