Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dentist-Did you need antibiotics before going after fusion w/hardware?

JakotsuJJakotsu Posts: 212
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Forgot about my dentist appointment tomorrow, toldem I had surgery and they said I need to speak to doc about antibtiotics prior to coming due to the hardware.

So I will see doc friday but anyone know anything about this?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I had to take antibiotics the day before I would see my dentist. This went on for 5 years before the Dentist said I no longer needed the antibiotics. It is a good precautionary measure to avoid any bacteria/infections.
    I believe I had to take Amoxicillian, but I am sure that your Dentist will tell you exactly what you need to take.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Ron, I just never thought of it but also dread the thought of more antibiotics.
  • I have to what they call premed one hour before any dentist appointmnents. I have to take amoxicillin one hour before.
    They told me this will be forever,

• I have been seeing the same dentist for 15 years. As a matter of fact, I met up with his dental asst. right before my second Lam. They all know how many I have had, and never said I had to take antibiotics before. As a matter of fact, I asked him for some after one of my last visits because I had a cold, and did not want to get an infection, and did not want to have to go to PCD just to get antibiotics for just in case.
  • I believe it is only if you have instrumentation in your spine. It wouldn't apply to a laminectomy...but it is a good thing for all of us to inquire of our dentists....
  • I will next time. The only time I remember ever being asked if there was some metal in there was for xrays.
  • I had a dentist appt today and they had to reschedule because they called the surgeon and since I have new hardware I have to have it for a year post op. So call the dentist ASAP they have me take 1 500 mg of amoxicillian a hour before my appt. I am glad I saw this post jak... lol.
    cheers... Monica
  • after my fusion, my Ns said one tablet of something before up to 3 or so months out...didn't say anything else as I was not planning anything
  • I do take antibiotics before, just for cleanings and such. It is a precaution and I take ALL precautions. Yes, it will be forever. I have been through enough and won't take any chances, period. It is only a single dose, usually two hours before.
  • I didn't know this..seriously? I had a C6/C7 ACDF with Peek Cage and plate and screws on 11/6/08. I've had a teeth cleaning and last Monday I had prep for a crown, I get permanent crown on 3/16. Should I have taken antibiotics? Why wouldn't they tell me this at the Dentist's office - I told them I had neck surgery - I even had the cleaning in my soft collar!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I asked my dentist before my appointment and they said I did not have to take any antibiotics. I have had two crowns since my c-spine fusion. I would guess dentists may have different preferences.
  • Thank you. will ask though just in case ;) THANKS AGAIN