Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HI I am new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Sunny and I came across this forum when I was looking for follow up information from PLIF surgery. I just had this done on Feb 23...this is the hardest thing I have been thru in my life. The pain I have in my legs is unbelieveable...my feet feel as though they are burnt. I am 38 and married as of this past October and a mom of 3 girls. Its so hard to make it around the house during the day by myself. I am looking for friends who have had the same experiences as myself ...I wish to listen to them and be listened to...for I feel unless you have been through this its very hard for anyone to relate. I look forward to getting to know you all.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm afraid my situation is much different than yours, but I wanted to welcome you. You will find many friends here and people who understand what you're going through.

I'm worried that you're by yourself - is there nobody that can come stay with you and help you? You are so early in your recovery and I'd hate to think that you might hurt yourself by doing too much.

I'm sorry for your pain and am wishing you continued recovery.

• Thank you so very much for the quick reply. I do feel so alone and I have cried about every day since this has been done. My parents live to far away and my husband is a teacher and a department head at his school so he is in a corner there. I wish so much I did have someone....just carrying a drink to my desk is a task and I also have 2 dogs whom I adore but caring for them is unreal...I cant get them down the front steps...so frustrating and letting go of independence on my house cleaning is awful. I just need someone who understands for if I dont get to vent any where I think I may just explode. I am so trying to remain positive but you just dont realize how much this can affect your daily life.
    Thanks for listening to me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Your surgery is very recent so I would expect to see everything feeling ok. It takes time during the recovery process to get things back into order. The most important thing you can do now, post surgery is NOT to overdue anything. Adhere to all the limitations and restrictions that your doctor gave you. Are you going to any Physical Therapy?
    And believe me you are not alone. Almost every member on this site has experienced something similar to what you are going through. Its not even if it was a lumbar or cervical surgery, any surgery done on the spine requires time.
    With some surgeries, you will feel some instant pain relief, and as time progresses, you will have some ups and downs.
    I wish you could just fast forward yourself about 6 months to see how you would be feeling. It will come, you will start to regain strength and endurance. I always try to advice people who have had any type of spinal surgery....

Remember it, keep it in your mind and dont forget that you had work done on your spine. If you do not, there can easily be a time when you go too far, do too much and then the possibilities of having another spinal surgery is there.
    You may not be able to do all the things you did before surgery, so this will also take time to adjust.
    Patience and Positive outlook can go a long way in your
    total recovery process.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Be careful and take it easy when you are alone. Have your husband and kids help get everything you need close by you or where you can easily reach it without lifting, bending, twisting for the next few weeks! My husband had to go back to work too and my youngest goes to college/work so my husband gave me a small water pitcher with my glass of water, light snacks easy access, my meds, pencil, paper, books, remote,(and eventually this laptop on a table that adjusts and fits over the bed) all on my bed and the nightstand w/in reach every day before they left. I'd roll out of bed for BR, walk around awhile, get what I wanted or needed in reach (do you have water line from your fridge for water/ice? That is helpful.) Have them make you a sandwich you can just get from the fridge carefully! It is tough...especially the first 3 weeks, but you get better if you don't over do it! Just walk or do whatever your dr. tells you.

Does it bother you to have the covers, wash cloth or clothes touch your legs? Crazy, huh? The burnt feeling is better now for me (my fusion was 10/16/08) now so I am hoping yours will improve with time too...those nerves are the worst! And they take so long to heal. But just have patience, it's the hardest part, I know....I am not that good at it myself some days! It take so much time and patience but it will be worth it when we feel better!

Letting my independence and house go are the hardest. Nobody understands but us that experience it! My independence is returning and your will too...you won't feel it daily but weekly and monthly you will notice it! Someone on this site mentioned they kept a journal, what a great idea. I wish I had from the beginning to recall exact things....but before you know it you will notice you can do something you didn't do easily before!

You can ask me anything. There are other good people here with more experience but I'll try to help you with questions.
  • This is the hardest thing for me too! It takes so much time and patience! My Dr. had warned me beforehand and reminds me all the time. Then to help me keep it all in perspective he told me this .....Do you know what they did not so many years ago? Put us in body casts and we would stay in bed in the hospital for 6 months....so when I think about that it makes me feel good to be rolling out of my own bed (that is so hard, isn't it?), my own shower even with a chair...LOL and my own home, even if it's so dusty and not up to standards! Someday...LOL!

How are you feeling today? What do you do to entertain yourself? And does your husband have spring break soon?
  • Welcome to spine-health! :H you will find lots of support and kind people on this site...take care...m