Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post acdf returning pain - NEWBIE

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am having a MRI & CT myelogram soon. I had a c5/6/7 Laminectomy in 2007 for cord compression. Aside from permanent damage [mobility problems & weakness in all limbs etc etc, post surgery still had some problems with right arm/hand pain due to exisiting root pressure. Had c4-5, C5-6, C6-7 ACDF in September 2008 which helped the right arm/hand pain but now have pain in different parts of arm and hand like you. Particularly on Back of upper arm , upper arm, from elbow into little finger and ring finger and armpit upper chest areas. Recently this has migrated to similar pattern in left arm but not constant like it is with my left arm now. Also feel more pain/weakness in my legs etc.I have been told maybe pressure on disc below ACDF?? Not nice so soon since surgery.Getting increasingly frustrated at the not knowing etc Saw NS said maybe pressure on disc below fusion ie; c7/t1 Anyone with C7 issues out there?? Cant walk far even my so called normal short distances too hard. got a wheelchair for longer distances.

3 LEVEL LAMINECTOMY C5-C7 cord compression, cervical myelopathy, have some permanent damage. Myelomalacia.
3 Level ACDF C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 2008 for root presure etc

• If you look at my signature you can see Iam also c4-c7 fused but now I have other herniated disc's. My pain is mostly in my shoulder blades. My arms and legs are very weak but usually not painful. I also can't walk distance or stand very long without alot of pain.
    My NS and 2nd opinion told me there is nothing they can do so I wish you the best of luck...
  • 4jkasper- There is nothing you can do for c7-t1? What explanation did your Dr give for not being able to do anything for that area. Is it becasue of your four level fusion?

scatty- I have a bulge at c7-t1. I have the same nerve pain.
  • Thank you for your reply,. I have been on other sites but sometimes just dont get any replies. I am so pleased to get replies!!
    I was told by my NS there may be nothing further surgery that can be done, but will see more when tests complete. The ACDF was suppose to be the definitive surgery ie the final option to help as I have permanent damage ...myelomalacia/cervical myelopathy. I too find it very hard to stand for any length of time, cnt stand on one spot really at all not unless I have something to lean against even then the pain just increases all over, the four limbs, the neck the back etc etc. I am just so shocked that things would get like this so soon since my last surgery. I wish you well too. what three surgeries in last 15 months have you had? What other problems do you have? I do have bladder and bowel issues too do you? I wonder as you are fused in similar areas if you have similar problems?
  • Hi again as above in response to 4jkasper many thanks for your reply. cla gua is you pain on underarm, armpit area, upper back shoulder blade, upper arm pain and by elbow into outside of hand etc?
    I am on several pain medicationand have pins and needles, vibrations, burning hot spots etc in various parts of body.
    Not sure what sensation problems are due to what as I have cervical myelopathy etc. Do you get the burning? What have you been told about what can be done re your disc bulge etc. Thanks again.