Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am almost 3 months

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
from having a 2 level discectomy and PLIF . During the pasr month I have had 2 episodes of my knee swelling up. I have not been able to bend it fully back since surgery, has felt a little swollen. But yesterday and today it is sore and really swollen. Any ideas?

• Have you mentioned this to your Dr.? Which leg? Is it tight too and possibly the skin looks slightly different color from swelling? Call your Dr. and tell him about this...sometimes the leg can't be bent back, mine is tight too but sometimes after surgery people get other things with nerves, muscles or even a blood clot....I'm not saying that is what it might be, I'm just saying you should call your Dr. to get it checked out so you know what it is and what to do for it.
  • Hi,

I have bone spurs in both knees since 4 years ago and from time to time, my left knee gets tight. I had PLIF L3 to L5 on 12/4/08 so I'm some past 3 months. I was thinking it was from the shift in my posture and how I'm walking now. I had movement in my L3/L4 space and a bad tear at L4/L5. I really felt so loose before and now everything it tight feeling in my back.

If your knee is swollen and hot feeling, you need to find a Bone & Joint doctor to check it for you. I don't think your surgeon will do much. Mine only wants to deal with my back and my past complaints during my checkups. I have an orthopedic doctor that I see for my knees and have gotten shots to reduce the swelling. So far that has worked.

Do you remember falling or twisting or anything that would overwork your knee? During PT, I had to ride the bike for 15 mins and use the leg machines to push weights...which worked my knees over.

Good luck and I hope you can find a good doctor to check it out for you. Mine did xrays and an MRI to make sure that I didn't have an obvious tear or something. He's chalked mine up to osteoarthritis and DDJD. I know sometime in my future I can probably count on a knee joint replacement. I'm 44, so I'm hoping for 10 years out. My doctor says no steps and no running.