Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Brand New And Hurting Everyday....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I am 20 years old and for the past two years I have been having chronic pain across my back and down my right leg. At first I thought it was a side effect of a med that I was just put on but after I stopped the med it just seemed to hang around. I thought it was a nerve problem to begin with. First only my leg would get numb. Then it started to tingle and now it is full on throbbing pain. It radiates up my back through my right leg. Up my neck, and through both arms. My first doctor thought it was nothing but I didn't believe that for one second. The second opinion thought it was "just a nerve issue", and the last doctor I talked to thinks there is a bit more to it than that and referred me to Pain Management. I have been doing the physical therapy to no avail. I don't know what it is, all I know is that my body hurts and I think it may be my spine or something else serious. Does anyone have any ideas??

• I've been going to PT for about a year. My second (opinion) doctor prescribed it because he wanted to be sure that if the problem is something easily solved by PT then we would already be a step ahead. The disc issue isn't only in my neck, it proceeds in my lower back. The loss of the curve is what going on with my neck and I am pretty sure that it is what causes my migraines that don't go away.
  • Again, going along with the docs advice. The clinic took me with some tests i had done a little while back. My E.M.G., some X Rays, and other such things. They just want my MRI. I think they have some idea of the issue at hand. At least more than my doc. I'm just waiting for my appointment with the neurologist and a orthopedist. They've ordered some other tests but we will see where this goes. Basically my doc referred me off onto some people that i hope understand this issue better.
  • There was a test that I had done that dealt with my discs and back but I dont quite remember the name of it.
  • it sounds like you are not receiving the correct line of care for back pain .the investigations should have come a lot sooner that one year {as for as i know no one does PT on its own for a year!} you could have had a tumor or something and if it was left until a year before any medical investigations were done the out come would be catastrophic to say the least.if i were you i would go see a neurosurgeon for an evaluation .as for pain clinics they usually come at the end of the care line {when all other attempts to solve the problem have been exhausted}.it should have been .you go to your doctor with pain he/she sees you and give you some medication .you go home and after a week or so you still have y=to go back and see the doc again .this time the doc sends you for an MRI or other investigative test .after that depending on your pain the doc would refer to PT is MRI showed no evidence of disease or trauma .but if MRI had shown any problems the doc would have referred you to see a neurosurgeon .its after surgery that you would be referred to a pain center .that's a normal line of treatment { a very simple line i know }that was just a guide for this example} i would change your doctor! are you still in pain?
  • I too was very young when I first starting having some of the same things you are experiencing. Being young, I thought the same as you that the docs must know what they are doing so I would just do what they told me and not ask questions nor did I document anything.

My advice to you is to request an MRI be done ASAP. Keep track of all types of treatments you've had including medications, PT, tests etc. This will help you in the long run if you ever need to see a surgeon or file for disability or anything. I know that all seems so far off to you but trust me, it makes it so much easier if you ever need this info. If you see a second or third opinion doc they will also want to know these things.

I just had to fill out my SSDI info cuz I've been on disability for 13 months now and they want to know everything. They want to know all the kinds of tests you did, when and where and the results, any type of treatment what when where and if it worked, any meds you tried what and how long and what were side effects why did you stop, as well as current meds.

I hope you don't have to go through all of that and I pray this is something that can be helped with conservative treatment. You have to be your advocate and do as much research as you can cuz no one else is going to do it for you.

If you need any help or just need someone to chat with, feel free to PM me.
  • I **HAD** a doctor that really didn't think pain meds were necessary. I recently (Today)found a new PCP. He ordered the MRI, an new E.M.G., and another test, and finally got some pain medicine and flexeril because yes, I am very much in almost overwhelming pain. I am almost not able to walk. I am just waiting for my appointment with a new neurosurgeon. My tests will be done very soon. I am glad I went to a new doctor. The process I am in does seem odd but I think we are straightening out.
  • Today was a bad day for my pain.
  • I'm glad you switched docs and got things moving along. I pray that your tests results come back with something that's not too major and the meds will help releive your pain in the meantime.
  • Hi
    sorry to butt in so to speak but thoracic and neck problems can definately cause leg problems its not as common a problem and can be difficult to diagnose this is from my own personal experience and the advice of my neuro surgeon
    best wishes everyone
This discussion has been closed.