Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having a laminetomy and fusin surgery in 4 weeks need any tips

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I am having a laminectomy and fusion surgery in 4 weeks. I have 4 herniated discs, sponylothesis, spondysis, and narrowing of my spine. I am only 38 and feel way to young to feel this dang old. Any tips for recovery would be appreciated. Kelli

• :H Welcome to the forum! I had same surgery with level one Spondy. My L4 L5 was fused and BMP used after disk was removed. I am 62 with severe Spinal Stenosis and severe DDD. I am recovering really good, I have a few aches and pains but that is only normal. :) I refused to allow the doctor to take bone from my hip. I was in the hospital for a week and used a walker and back brace going home. My sister who lived just across the street stayed with me for the first two weeks I needed her more for "just in case" because I was ok with doing for myself. I had a shower stool in the tub and my ba. rm. sink was beside the toilet so that helped me to get up and down on it. I also had a grabber incase I dropped something. I cleaned my entire apt. from head to toe before I went to the hospital and put things I needed everyday at a lower level. I am not allowed to this day to lift anything more then ten pounds, I'm not allowed to run,jump,jog, or do high impact aerobics. :''( That part I really miss! I ate lots of grapes because that's what helped me to get regular again and drank mucho water to flush it out with. I was in a ward while in the hospital and it was so noisy there! I'm one of those people who can hear a pin drop! I was so afraid for nothing because the surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be!

This forum helped me out so much, I will always be very grateful to the people here for all their help!!

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • goodluck on your surgery!! i hope all goes well for you...take care....m
  • Hello kellianne ~

Welcome to the board. You are having a BIG surgery as I hope your surgeon has advised you. Do you know how many levels will be fused?

I hope you saw the "sticky" at the top of the Back Surgery page on post-operative needs. It is very thorough, really listing every possible thing a patient might want or need.

For me, the most important items were a raised toilet seat and slippery sheets (or at least, bottom sheet.) You will be feeling weak after surgery and it will be difficult to reposition yourself in the bed. While in the hospital, I could barely turn over. I felt like I was velcro'd to the bed. Getting home to my satin bottom sheet made all the difference. It just was so much easier to slip around to change positions. (I took off the satin top sheet as it was just too much of a good thing, and the blankets kept slipping off.)

If you don't have full-time care, the grabber is another essential. You will drop the remote control, or something you desperately need and without the grabber, you will just be left to stare at it. I wasn't aware how often I dropped things until I was told "no bending." The grabber is essential.

Also get a pad of paper and pen or pencil to keep track of your meds. It is very important that you take the pain meds exactly as prescribed, even if it means setting an alarm to wake up during the night. You don't want the pain to get ahead of the meds. Sometimes you'll be groggy and won't remember which med you took when, especially if you have several that you need to take at different times of the day and night.

You will probably be quite tired and sleepy the first week to ten days. Plan on doing your walking when you need to use the bathroom...and then back to a reclining position. You will not want to sit up for more than ten or fifteen minutes as it puts more of a load on the discs. You probably won't feel much like reading at the beginning either. Depending on your meds, you just won't have the concentration to read.

Post your specific questions. It is hard to think of all the helpful little things that make recovery easier.

Good luck with your surgery. We'll all be here to help with things you will think of once you're back home again.

xx Gwennie :H
  • I had a 4 level lumbar fusion in 2002 with rods and screws. Definetly need the slippery sheets and raised toilet seat. I was up and doing laundry (with the help of the grabit because bending was tough) 3 weeks after surgery. I was 43 at the time. Long road to recovery but the thing I did without fail was walk, walk, walk and then walk some more. Not fast, just at a pace that is natural. When I couldn't walk outside I walked on treadmill. I was walking 5-10 miles per day about a month after surgery.