Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovering Nicely ...I think....Thanks to all this good info!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
A big hello, and thank you to the many posters, bloggers, twitters? and forum users at this site. Coming off of a succesful 1st time surgery (ALIF, one level, February 6th), I am very grateful for the pages that have encouraged me, the tips page of what to have, the reassurance of hanging on, and what to do and not do. You people have given me the questions to ask, my doctor understands and is pleased that I am well informed.

My recovery is going well, walking 2 miles per day, no pain meds if I can help it, working 1/2 days at work, mostly driving and getting in and out. Glad to look at the world again. It has also been a blessing to have a loving and supportive family,(wife, kids, in-laws, etc).

That's all for now, Hope those who are worse off than I , continue to find reassurance and help through the many forums. Remember some days are better than others, and always keep your head, hope and heart upon the Lord.

Thanks, Mike

• Thanks, Mike! Like you, I am in recovery from Micro. I know what you mean by getting another chance to enjoy the world again. Hope your success in recovery will continue.
  • I'm happy that you're doing so great! What an inspiration you are to others that will be having surgery. Congratulations and keep on ahealin'!

• i hope that you continue to get better at a good rate!
  • That's great news. Just be sure that you do not overdo it. Remember that it takes a LONG time until your body has fully recovered and there may be a few setbacks along the way.
  • Hello Mike,

Welcome to Spine Health! I am really glad your surgery went well, and you are on the road to recovery. Sounds like you are on schedule, walking a lot, not needing pain meds, these are all good news.

Keep up the good work, and stay on this forum, especially if you had successful surgery, it is important to provide encouragement for the new members, who are looking for positive support.

Wishing you continuing success in your recovery,

• Mike, sounds like your recovery is going really well. Back at work after 1 month is very good. Keep up the great work and keep posting with your progress!

Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Mike,

I am so happy your surgery went so well, I might have to have a fusion surgery on the same disc as you l5-s1 but it will be my 3rd. I am only 22 years old and I am really worried about the recovery and affects after. I have been told by others that the recovery for a fusion is more difficult then a regular back surgery like decompression of the disc or cleaning of a ruptured disc. I wanted to ask you if you have experiance this kind of difficulties, and if you have had trouble with stiffness or movement with your pelvis.

• That's great you're doing well and hope you continue to heal well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had a L5-S1 Discectomy on February 23rd after trying physical therapy several times, accupuncture, chiropractic, cortisone injections (which actually made my symptoms worse!) and stretching and doing core exercises for infinite hours. I had a herniated disk which was giving me leg pain (especially left buttock) and numbness in my toes for about 4-5 years. Other than several times when my back went completely out making me bedridden for about a week each time, my symptoms were bearable but rendered life almost unenjoyable. My Neurosurgeon (who came highly recommended from a co-worker who was a patient) told me I had two choices - live with it while risking permanent nerve damage or proceed with surgery. To his credit, he never pushed me to get surgery and told me surgery should be a last resort. I decided to get the surgery which as stated was done on the 23rd. My Dr. informed me in the recovery room that the surgery was a success and that the nerve appeared to be very healthy. I was able to get up to go to the bathroom shortly after returning to my room and spent the night at the hospital. I have been home for 2 1/2 weeks mostly taking it easy (as much as that kills me having a one year old son and a wife who is 6 months pregnant-god bless everything she does for me) with the exception of at least one walk per day. Gradually, my leg pain and numbness in toes has returned. Almost immediately after sitting, my left buttock hurts as bad as pre-surgery. I talked to my surgeon last week and he again assured me that the nerve did not appear to be damaged and to be patient as nerves can take up to a year to heal. I actually know 5 other people who had the same surgery over the past 10 years and every one of them had immediate relief with their symptoms never returning so I guess I had high hopes. I am 31 years old and in very good shape and have always been extremely active. Has anyone had a similar result as me with the pain eventually going away. I know I need to be positive and trust my Dr., but it is very disheartening to have no improvement at this time.
  • Wow-sorry for that long post-didn't seem so long while writing it-LOL
  • Kevin,

You had your surgery too recently to be able to evaluate if it solved your problem. Even if your nerves are healthy, your body went through quite a trauma and it takes time to recover from it. Trust your doctor, and hopefully soon you will notice some positive changes.

Best wishes,

• Hi Kin

Thanks for the advice and positive words. I've actually really been taking it easy the last few days and I am starting to see some improvement. Other than my back, I've been very lucky as far as health is concerned so I had no real experience to compare to. I think I was very unrealistic and thought the recovery would be quicker and easier than it's been.

Take care,
  • Hi KevinKirk,

I had my microdiscectomy almost 2 1/2 weeks ago and feel pain still. I was fine for 10 days after the surgery, but the pain returned. At my follow up visit, I was told that the nerve could have been irritated during the surgery and to give it time.

I understand that it can be very frustrating when you see others recover so quickly. I was hoping to go back to work next Monday but I don't think it is going to happen.