Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

office jobs--suggestions

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Does anyone out there have an office job? Computer work, filing, etc.. I am being interview for the second time for a Dr's office. No heavy lifting or lifting at allwhich I didn't think I could find (LVN). But the dreedful computer will be a must. Does anyone have any great tips on working with a questionable neck in an office?

I greatly will appreciate the tips. I am looking forward to working but am scared and nervous.

Thanks for the help.

• CONGRATULATIONS on finding yourself employment - especially in these tough economic conditions.

I have an office job. I try to get away from my desk at least every 15 - 30 minutes otherwise, I'm toast. When I can't get away from my desk because of the task at hand, I will stand up and stretch my back. Otherwise, I get up and walk around (filing, faxing, copying, etc) just to look busy. Somedays, I save the filing, faxing and copying for the 15 minute intervals. That is definitely the key for me: not becoming chained to my desk. If I do not have filing/faxing/copying to do, I will either go to the restroom (but not stay long... don't want to appear as though I am wasting time) or re-fill my water bottle at the fountain.

As far as your monitor placement - be sure you are eye-level with the monitor. When sitting in your chair, your legs should be a 90 degree angles at your knee.

You can also do some simple stretching exercises at your desk (breathe in reach for the sky; breathe out and hands at your side...). You should remember to stretch your neck and back (if this is possible for you). Touch your chin to your chest, if you are allowed to do this by your doctor. Then side to side, always breathing in and out.

Of course, be sure to run these exercises by your doctor before attempting them.

I am so excited for you and the prospect of starting a new job. I had worked at a doctor's office for my first state job back in the 80's. I have been trying to get back to working in a doctor's office. I enjoyed it. Getting to know the patients who came in on routine basis, the doctor's etc. Good luck. GO GET 'EM!! Let us know how it turns out!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    I've worked in a workstation environment for almost 90% of my 34 years with the company. I have had every possible desktop setup, all the ergonomics and actually had a chair designed for me. I was working on a project for workstation comfort and a doctor, myself and a furniture maker got together to build a chair. This was the pre-cursor to the newer chairs.
    But honestly, no setup, no chair, no desk is going to be good for the spine over periods of time.
    It is so important, in fact I will say mandatory that you get up from your desk at least every 45 minutes and stretch, walk for at least 10 minutes before coming back to your desk.
    I am in the process of retirement and just the fact that I have been limiting myself to 1 or 2 hours a day at the computer instead of 8 or 10 has made a difference. All my therapists see this, I feel it and I have been able to reduce some of my pain medications.
    The desk job, the white collar worker filling, programming, researching, etc is one of the biggest strains that your spine will see.
    Good luck and please take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Office work has ruined me. Did it for 43 years.
    I was a very good, conscientious worker who had to finish the job ASAP at a fast pace. Never learnt how to pace myself. Felt guilty if I didn't do a top job immediately.
    While you may be able to avoid getting spinal problems if you take good care from the start-ergonomics, frequent breaks, some stretches, glasses, stress control and so on-once you have problems you will only make them worse with an office job, in my opinion.
    However, listen to your body. If it hurts, stop.
    Working through the pain to finish the work is where the damage is done-I'm proof!
    You sort of get used to it and find ways to keep going.
    Make sure you have a good chair without armrests; wear glasses if you are squinting a bit at the screen; avoid using a mouse as it really tenses the arm muscles; have frequent breaks to get up and walk around; avoid stressful situations-learn some relaxation techniques;learn how to SAY NO.
    But-listen to your body. Learn from an idiot!
  • i am on light duty now and mainly in the office. Avoid being at the computer for too long and get up and move around as often as possible. I find also that if i talk on the phone too much,I sometimes forget and bend my head sideways which is not good for your neck. Hopefully they will give you a head piece to wear. Even though my work is light duty, the pain will rear its ugly head by noon time. Good luck on your new job. Distraction by keeping your mind busy also helps me deal with the pain better. Bethy
  • I agree with all who said to get up from your desk after 30 minutes or so and stretch as often as possible. I have 5 herniated disc's in my neck along with 2 in the thoracic region with nerve damage in my lumbar spine which radiates down my left leg when ever I sit.

I can't sit for more than 15 minutes before the pain level hits a 10 or higher! The only way I get any relief is to stop what I'm doing and sit in my recliner and just meditate and try to relax all of my muscles until the pain starts to subside.

The BEST advise is: If the pain gets too bad, STOP what you are doing and do what helps give you some relief.

Good Luck in the new job.
  • Thank you all for the great advice. I am looking forward to working. I am going to use all the tips you have given me. I was thinking about buying myself a headphone set for the phone. So I don't have to bend my neck. Thank you so much again for making me feel more relaxed.
  • CONGRATULATIONS for the Job. I dont have much to say but take care!

Post edited to remove URL, solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro , Spine-Health Administrator 03/13/09
  • That's great. Glad to hear. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN