Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pets

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Depression and Coping

Any of you spinnys have a pet that helps you cope? I'm 2 wks post op from my surgery & my chocolate lab is my copeing buddy. He is 6yrs old & smart as a whip. He knows I'm in pain & he will not jump up on the bed until I am in & settled. He is always by my side & has alerted me to when I've droped something. He would have made a good dog for the handicapped. Hey I guess thats me right now. We go for a mile or two walk every day & he heels right by my side & never pulls on the lead. I cut him loose when we get to the BLM & the woods. In the past he would go exploring on his own, but now he doesn't get out of sight. With the wife at work all day he keeps my mind off my pain & I don't know how I would get along alone without him. I guess its true what they say about pets being therapeutic.
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey tanker,
    there is a lot of truth to what you observe through your little buddy, they can sense a lot more of what is going on with you than you can imagine. That is why service dogs trained by Canine Companions, Leader Dogs for the Blind, and other organizations are so popular now. When you see a "working" service dog you can see how in touch they are with their partner. Take good care of your partner, he is your most loyal pal. All he requires is your love, affection, a warm safe place, some food, treats, and a belly rub!
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • Yes I have two 100 pound dogs, my wife calls them "daddy's dogs" because they never leave my side! They're both an endless source of love. Instead of jumping up, they walk up and lay their head on the bed. Always seems to be in just the right spot for me to be a sucker & love on 'em. I don't know what I'd do without my dogs!!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/165744
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/239352
  • My little Mercster has been the best medicine of all. There have been times when I was so down, and Merc was the only one who could make me smile. He constantly keeps an eye on me and goes everywhere I go. When I'm sitting, he'll lay down so he's touching me so he'll know when I move if he falls asleep.

I truly believe that our little buddies can place such a big role in our healing.

Here's another thread where many people talked about their pets. My little guy is going to be 15 years old in April, so I know I don't have a lot more time with him, but he's healthy, happy and I'm very privileged to love him and be loved by him.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/matters-heart/our-pets-love-we-share-now-and-when-they-pass-away
  • is 110lbs of Airdale, largest of the largest terrier line.
    Very, very loyal and loveable. He is approaching 11 and that is old for such a large dog. I often find myself saddened when I realize our time together is limited.
    So be it, For 10 years he as let my sons ride him, wrestle him and he has spent many, many, hours swimming at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. This dog will swim, by himslef for hours on end! Want to see him happy? Ask him if he wants a biscuit or to "go to the lake".

Truly a good friend. almost always. as with all good friends they must sometimes test their boundaries!
  • Yup, I got 3 cats and they help me cope when they puke up their food either on the carpet, in their food bowl or on my bed (mostly hairballs) and then I gotta vacuum up cat litter & hair everyday not to mention washing the bedsheets everyweek with extra 'air dry' dryer loads with tennis balls prior to actually washing the sheets & bedcover to get as much hair off as possible. Then there's cleaning the 2 litter boxes everyday and changing them every week and then there's the dog (and it's hair) and cleaning up the dog poo in the yard.

Why can't cats wipe their feet when leaving the litter box?

Lotsa good opportunities to bend over, keep busy cleaning and of course the little bits about helping cope with the pain 'they' cause from having to clean/maintain them!
    ;>)

I won't go into the whole 'bathing' & blood on the walls thing (usually my blood) let alone trying to shave off fur knots (more blood, a tie between me and the cats) but I find if i bite down on the nap of their necks, it frees both hands for washing them - do this in the shower - a quick wash & rinse at the same time rather than reusing dirty water in the bathtub (they hate it when I turn the jacuzzi on!)...;>)
  • Now thats funny right there Jim. Looks like your pets will save you from having to do any PT since your already strectching, bending, & lifting to strenthen your core mussels.
  • Two needy cats.. 8> ...wow, they have saved my life. Without them, things would be much harder. :) I am so greatful for the two furry little blessings!! :>

Love;
    Deebelle
    Lucie
    Abbie
  • I recently acquired a 5 year old Pekingnese and I fell instantly in love :X . She is spoiled however and it's either her way or the highway and I love that :> . Taz wants YOU to pick her up and put her on OUR bed :| . She knows when I won't and she'll jump up herself and cuddle at my feet. She is so friendly that whenever she greets people, she has excitement tinkles while she licks and runs around you like a tasmaninan devil :))) . Otherwise she is housebroken and my husband bathes her once a week to keep her clean <:P . Taz has a regal but loveable character and keeps me company all day I) .
  • I have three cats, each with thier own gifts and personalities. :)

VI (short for voice immodulation, a skit from SNL with Will Farrell) she is a seal point siamese and my sweetheart. Loud as h3ll too (thus the name).

Mack, named thus because he was found living in the engine compartment of a semi. Total Zen master. Black and white tuxedo. Does his own thing, but a sweet lover.

And Magellan, the explorer. Hubby found her trying to cross a busy street when she was still large enough to fit in the palm of your hand. No fear, at all. Black as pitch, with a tail like a squirrel, growls like a dog, meows like a wookie. Full of mischief and a total shapeshifter.

I love all of my kitties. They definately kept me entertained while home on the couch for two months. They were miffed when I left the house for the first time.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Perhaps one day I will have one. :) Glad to hear you have had so much love from yours.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • If you ever have the chance. Get one. They are very, very loyal one family dogs. Both the ones we have had have been diehard loyal, to the end. Neither one would bite unless highly provoked and needed to defend one of us.

Love the fact that they for the most part do not shed!
    I get more hair in the vacuum cleaner from our 10lb cat then from the dog!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I have 2 that help me take my mind off of things.
    Just before my third surgery I had to put my 14 yr old Jack Russel down (cancer) I was so bummed I didn't even care about the surgery.
    After recovering I swore I wouldn't have another dog. But the void was too much to bear. I wound up getting two yorkies.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I forgot to mention my sons pet Ball Python snake that got out of his cage a few months ago. We practically ripped the house apart & turned it upside down looking for it. Unpacking boxes (and repacking), moving furniture. We never found where it was but it 'came out' of hiding after 2 weeks.
    My back hurts just thinking about it!
  • I have my 3 Jack Russell Terriers ( those who have been here a long time know that I had many more before my first surgery) and the huge outside dog, a Newfoundland. Just the other day I aquired a new pet.

My sister was driving me home from a therapy appointment, the first time I got to talk to her about the functional loss of my arm, and on my highway we saw a little dog running in the road. We managed to catch him before he got hit, thank goodness. He is a Yorkshire Terrier, no more than 4 lbs and, get this....he has 3 legs! Part of his 4th leg is missing and will have to be amputated after I get his health back to normal. His owner showed up the next day and signed him over to me as she has a bad living arrangement and can't afford the surgery.

Somehow I think this guy was sent to me to help me with this loss. Somehow, we'll cope with it together. Luckily my other dogs are very gentle with him, they seem to know that he's "special needs". Now I just need a name...I keep calling him Little Sh*t...LOL

Griff
  • So many people don't have the distraction of pets....I can't imagine what I'd do without a dog!! I have a 15 1/2 year old keeshond/pom cross who is such a sweetheart, but not all that mobile anymore, and a five month old border collie who makes me laugh every minute of the day!! Great laughter therapy and some added exercise....Jim hit the nail on the head!! :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" />
  • Hi Jim

You can always try throwing them in the toilet and closing the lid real fast. Hit the lever a couple times and voila! Rinsed!

Actually your description of shaving & cleaning your cats brings back fond memories of that same bond I had with my cats. And a laugh too! Thanks!
    Jay
  • I couldn't imagine what life would be like without a dog or cat.

except...

I'd save money by not buying wet & dry dog & cat food every month.

I'd save money not buying cat litter every month.

I'd save money every month on my electric bill by not running the vacuum everyday.

I wouldn't have to clean the 2 litter boxes twice a day.

I wouldn't have to pick up dog poo in the yard every few days (i'm just not that excited about picking it up everyday like I used to be anymore, and now that spring is coming, all the 'built-up' yard poo from winter turns into 'spring surprise soup'...).

I wouldn't have to wash/wipe the wet/muddy dog footprints off the kitchen floor everytime it rains...

I'd save money on vet bills.

I'd save money on flea medication (fleas get sick too!).

When fleas do 'move in', I'd save money on water (baths) and my back from bending over the bathtub giving the animals baths - and here I have to say that this process also increases my own med expenditure as i have to take more meds to 'recover' from my animals bathing!

I thought of trying to bath the cats by getting one of those baby backpack thingys where you strap on the harness thingy and carry the baby in the front of the thingy and using it with the cat in the shower - i thought I could save money on water by 'killing two showers at once' - me and the cat...
    ladies, don't try this if you ever plan on wearing a bikini ever again...
    oh, and make sure your cat is declawed first... otherwise, no amount of tattoo's will ever cover it up...

The best way to bath your cat is to get one of those really big 'closet/storage' ziplock bags, throw him in with a gallon of water and a bar of lava soap and shake vigorously for 5 minutes...

Let's see, what else...?
    oh yes! Saving money by not having to run blankets through the dryer to get the hair off before washing 9I think I mentioned that in a previous post).

Save money on carpet cleaning or replacement when the cat/dog pukes on the floor.

Same as above but substitute furniture instead of carpet.

Save money on various meat foodstuffs as in when you take out that big juicy frozen steak to defrost on the stove in anticipation of a wonderful candlelight dinner when in actuality, the cat doesn't mind eating frozen or thawed meat... and the plastic wrap or tin foil doesn't upset their stomach at all...

Save money on Endust (or whatever is your dust product of choice) because you can't quite see the tv which is starting to look just like your cat/dog as all their stray hair gets magically attracted to the biggest source of static electricity - you wipe the screen and sadly discover that Sean Connery didn't really have a hairy chest in 'Dr.No' at all...

Save money on paper towels (the quick puke & urine picker-upper!) & bandaids (bathing)

And for the 'newbie' cat owners, you'll save money on Drain-O and septic cleaning when you discover that cat poo DOESN'T go down the drain as easily as human poo but actually likes to build up like plaque or cholesterol in the pipes and eventually comes back to haunt you...

And if it does during a weekday morning, then you'll miss work and THAT'S another loss of money...

Save money on pet declawing and 'fixing'.

But other than that, their nice & fluffy and purr and chase bouncy balls or frisbees and you can leave them alone at home for extended periods of time while you go on a long much needed vacation - wait, no,... that's babies,... sorry...;>)

• But Jim think about how much it is helping the economy by spending all those $$$ to support our fury friends. If your son would trade that Python in for a Boa Constricter you could have in home Chiropractor care.
  • i went to the cinema today to see a movie called "MARLEY AND ME" all you animal lovers gota go see this!!!

but i must warn you its a tear jearker!!!

LOVE P
  • Yeah, the dog dies at the end...
    I almost cried when Godzilla died in 'Godzilla vs. Destroya'. He was a great pet until he got too big for the litter box, then I had to let him go. And now look at 'em, making all these movies, raking in the big bucks... and do I even get a thank you card? A phone call? Re-imbursment for food & lodging and the sqeaky toys on xmas???
    NO!
    Ungrateful bast---!

Tanker, my wife won't let me have a Boa after that whole Godzilla thing. She's afraid it'll mutate or something and go off on a rampage (or to the Sci-Fi channel to make crappy B movies).
  • You really should learn to express yourself better and stop holding back so much... :))(
  • Here's the little tyke the day after his first birthday:
    http://home.comcast.net/~castle.walls/pics/godzillaguitar.jpg
    We got him an (expensive) guitar and amp. He looked so proud! He loved Kiss and wanted to be the next 'God Of Thunder' and would stomp all around the house saying "I'm the god of thunder! I'm the god of thunder!" in his cute squeaky little voice, scaring the cats and setting fire to the furniture...

I had such hopes for him, sadly the rat bast--- took off in the middle of the night without so much as a 'goodbye'. I heard he pawned the guitar for a camcorder and stole a lobster boat and drove it to some small eastern island.

Kids,... unappreciative snot-nosed good-for-nothin's - that's what i say!
  • btw, that's the last time I take in unwanted mutant orphan creatures!
    I just turned away some giant spider that knocked on my door. He didn't look quite right as the shaved body and tatoo's gave him an 'air' of untrustworthyness.
    I could instantly see he wasn't as down on his luck as he'd claim because of all the expensive sneakers he had on.

I scolded him and told him "Take that diaper off, you can't fool me! I know your older than that so act your age and go get a real job!"

He slowly sulked away with a tear(s) in his eye(s)...
  • expressive as always!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• What kind of meds jim is on? I want some. 8}
  • I had a cat for 5 months. He wandered in our house and we kept him. Tonight the woman who moved found out from the neighbors that we had the cat. I'm ticked off 5 months later and they came to get the cat. :''( I told her we wanted to keep him but he's 3 years old, neutered it was her cat that long. I'm a little upset about this. When I handed over my cat he didn't want to go with her. 10 minutes later he got away from her. I guess she found him as she's no where around. Anyways we may go down to the pound and see if there's a puppy or kitten tomorrow. I think pets can help with your healing for sure Tanker. Take care and I wish you all the best. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 5 mg of oxycodonne every 2 hours starting right before breakfast...naps & sense of reality optional...

• my son bought another small white mouse yesterday to feed to his snake but the snake wasn't hungry so he put the mouse back inside the cardboard box (from the store used as transport) and then put that box inside another bigger box and left it in there overnight.

Well, this afternoon my daughter (who works nights and sleeps during the day) came into the living room this afternoon and asked me if any of my son's mice were missing. After finding out from her about the 'mouse box' situation from the previous night (I was not informed, otherwise this would've never happened). I looked in his room and discovered a small empty box within a larger empty box...

I called my son at work and asked him where the mouse was supposed to be - in the box was the reply...

My daughter quickly found the mouse scoping out a new apartment in a box in her room...

pets... yeah, gotta love' em!!!
    kids too I suppose!
  • My dogs provide with laughter, but my cat is the one who gives me the most comfort. She is a himalayan who weighs just over 6 lbs. She loves to talk to you and once you start to pet her, she purrs loudly. While she is purring, she stares at you and opens/closes her eyes. The noise of her purr and the eye contact make me forget the pain for a while.
  • lol about the spider knocking on your door. It reminded me of the kitty we had for 5 months but the owner came and got him. At first he walked in the house looked upstairs. He would always seem lost. I think he missed his owner who moved and couldn't find the cat. Now he's gone back to her. Lots of catfood left over. It is what it is.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement