Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just Stressing a Bit

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Matters of the Heart
Hi everyone! :)

Well, April 8th I have 4 level laminectomy. I get to be 'Case #1', show up at Admitting 5:30 am in the morning (I'm not a morning person so should be an easy one for the anesthesiologists, lol).

I am worrying about how stressed I'll be that morning. I'm hoping they put that stuff in the IV that puts in a 'I don't care what happens, I'm oblivious' state of mind. I wonder about how I am going to feel when I first wake up from surgery. Incredible pain? Numbness and pain in places that were neither before surgery? Dunno.

I'm told I'll be the hospital several days, so that's good. Will the food be good? Will the medical staff be friendly? Meet my needs? Will there be good choices on TV?

Dunno. Just stressing a bunch thinking about it all, lol.

Thanks for listening!

Ken GreyEagle

• The key is to remember that they are there to take care of you, so let them. If you need something, ask. If you have questions, ask. If you feel pain, tell them. The nursing staff will be there to control your post op pain. I wouldn't worry about it. There are several ways for them to do so and your doctor will choose the way he feels should work best for you.

When you show up in the morning on the 8th, you will go through an inprocessing of sorts. They will verify who you are and why you're there and get you into hospital clothing and settled into a bed or recliner. Your vitals will be taken and any questions you have will be answered. It is quite a process to watch and you will see others going through the same process. I have even had nice conversations with others in the processing area. No one likes to look dorky in the hospital garb but it is required for all, so everyone is on even dorkiness.

When they surgical team is ready the will take you to preop and the anesthesiologist will start your IV and if you feel any anxiety or extreme pain that's the time to let him/her know. Once they have completed all of their reviews and done all the checks and rechecks of information and patients, then off to the OR you go. You will be out before they wheel you into the OR and will wake up when it's all over. Time will pass like you never knew.

Just relax and let the surgeon do his job and when you wake up, you will be on the other side of your surgery and the healing will have already begun!

I have only been in Navy hospitals, and the food is great. Of course the Navy galleys are know for turning out some good grub. You may not feel much like eating for a while or you may be ravenous. Go with the flow. I've had my husband bring me Dunkin Donuts and Subway. So if you don't like the hospital food you can always get your family and friends to bring you something. I always save a snack for the middle of the night too! You never know what kind of sleep schedule your body will take. I've had food trays sit there while I sleep and disappear before I wake up. if nothing else, ask the nurse to set it aside. They normally have a kitchen on the ward with a refrigerator for such things.

You will be fine my friend. Hang in there, relief is just around the corner.

• April 8th good for you
    Don't forget My E-Mail... ladybug@patsy.com
    I have great Ins and Outs to make hospital stay better.
    Bring Laptop. if no laptop
    I will give you another way.
    We will talk before April 8th, P.M. me if that E-mail still not working, not sure if its the board or my E-Mail.

My Loving Thoughts ...Patsy

• Ken,
    Before you know it your surgery will be done and you will be on your way to getting better. I think I would be more worried if I wasn't worried. You will be in good hands, the shot that calms you down works wonders, the funny thing is I remember joking around with the OR staff before my first surgery and before you know it...out I went and was waking up in my room. The first day it doesn't matter what is on TV, I couldn't stay awake long enough to watch anyway. A snack is always a good thing to keep around, lifesavers are good too. Just watch out for the cherry jello.....I ate way too much after surgery and needed a shot for a upset belly, but it sure did taste good after not eating for a while. You will do well and will be in our thoughts.

• hang in there buddy! dont sweat what hasnt happened yet, it only adds to the burdens ya have today right?
    your gonna come back in flying colors!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Just wanted to say all these things are very normal to feel and wonder about. I was way more stressed the days leading up to surgery than I was the morning of. I thought I was going to loose my mind with all the what if this and what if that. I found when I got to the hospital I somehow managed this attitude of well its here, its time, lets get this over with already so I can start the next phase. That got me through pre op without any medication to calm my nerves. I had a great staff that laughed and joked with me and the Price is Right was on in my preop room. I dont know why that helped but it did.
    The scary part is almost over, the stress is normal, the anxiety is normal, but keep in mind this part is almost over. When I woke up I was in a bit of achey pain but the team post op in recovery was just as good as pre op they never left my side and that was comforting, when they did get to far I called em back over, and just having them right there helped. Your going to come through this and finally be on the other side of it soon. Hang in there and we are all here for support.
    You might find yourself highly suprised at how well you will cope the day of, so hang in there till then and just keep talking it out. Maybe thinking, lets get this over with already will help, it did for me. Wishing you the best and let us know how you are when you are able.
  • What Erica said is exactly what it was like for me. The morning of the surgery I was unbelievably calm. I think I had the "let's just get this over with" feeling too. Plus, once you get to the hospital, there is constant activity to help keep your mind busy. I don't remember having any pain in the hospital - probably because of the dilaudid drip. LOL

Interestingly, the night after my surgery, I would wake up almost every hour and my first thought was "Oh, man, I'm gonna have spine surgery" and then felt great relief when I realized I'd already had it.

Anyhoo, you're gonna to great! I think it's great to have surgery first thing in the morning - waiting around would probably make it more difficult.

Take care of yourself and after your surgery, it'll all be downhill from there! After all the time it's taken for you to get to this point, I'm anxious to see your posts on the other side.

• Yeah, you guys are right. About 13 years ago I had carpal tunnel surgery. I remember the IV they gave me prior to surgery. I was out before they ever got me anywhere near the OR. When I woke up it was all over.

I'll probably not sleep much the night before because I wonn't be able to shut my mind off from thinking about it. I'm sure they have a step by step very well organized routine when I'm admitted.

I do like the stuff they give you before surgery. That way the next thing you know, its over. LOL.

I will certainly share with you all when I am able after its over what it was like for me.

Thanks so much for all your sharing and good thoughts!

• The others have given you some good information. I'm assuming your laminectomy will be done posteriorly (from the back). will they put you in a hard collar? The first few days will be the worst, so it is good that you will be in the hospital. Everyone reacts differently, so don't be surprised if things seem a little unfamiliar to what you are reading here. A 4 level is a big surgery, but it sounds as if you are all set and ready to get it done. One piece of advice, don't forget to take a robe to cover the flapping gown on your backside. It will make the walks down the hall much less embarrassing. With my last surgery there was an older man who had surgeyr and lets just say I turned the other way when we were both taking walks in the hall. Good luck my friend. all will be well.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Oh yeah! I forgot about the air-conditioned attire they put on us in hospital! Yes, I will absolutely bring my robe. I have a really nice one!

Yeah, my surgeon's office sent me a letter with a prescription included for both a hard collar and a soft collar. In that letter I am instructed to bring both to the hospital when I'm admitted. I'll be 57 years old the 26th of this month! I sure don't want to cause any of the ladies (or anyone else in hospital)undeserved views of my backside! lol.