Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Letter from SSD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was called yesterday from social security the lady said she had good news that I have been approved for benefits I was really shocked as I had just filed for SSD in October and I was denied the first go around and appealed the decision . Did A medical eval on Feb 20 so needless to say I was shocked.
So today I get a letter from SSD saying that I was approved for disability from 09/07 and that I have received medical treatment for back problem. They go on to say they have not made a decision if I meet the conditions for non medical disability and they will send me another letter when they decide .Has any one had this happen and what does it mean?

• Wow Michigan moves alot slower than that! For me, it took 1 1/2 years to get denied, and then 1 more year to get a appeal date.I am so happy for you that you got it! What is non medical disability? I've never heard of that.

Faith M
  • That's great news, Smiley!

There are 2 parts to every disability claim. There are the MEDICAL issues. Is your condition severe enought to meet the disability requirements? Once the Social Security office makes the decision on your claim, they send it to Baltimore, MD, to determine the money issues. This could be what the representative was speaking of when he/she said that.

TECHNICAL requirements actually means they have to be sure you have earned enough credits, how much your benefit amount would be; how much your back pay (or retro pay) would be; if you have children that were under 18 (19 if still in school) at the time you became disabled - they are eligible for benefits as well (IF this is Social Security Disability- SSD, and not Supplemental Security Income- SSI). They will need your child's name, date of birth and social security number.

If you have an SSI claim (which is for low income families and there is a limit on how much money you have available to you), they have to be sure still meet the Income/Resource/Asset requirements. Do you have any property you could sell to live off the proceeds, or life insurance policies that have cash value, etc. That sort of thing.

Did you hire an attorney to assist you with your claim? If so, they will need to figure his/her fee and deduct this from any back pay you may receive. Also, your attorney could likely explain this to you way more better than I am. I tend to go into way too much detail and end up confusing people more than I assist them... Unintentional I promise!

Take care!