Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Curious about DDD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Just curious about how DDD is diagnosis? How do doctors find it and what tests are done to show that a person has it?

If anyone can tell me a bit about the diagnosis process I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Do you think there is another way? They tried to give me an MRI but there was too much scatter from my hardware :( I'm trying to avoid having my rods removed. My Ortho wants to take them out, but there's got to be another way?

Thanks for the link!!!
  • Maybe some other members will be along soon with more answers for you.I have read other members post about having the same problem as you are now-with the 'scatter',so mayde some of them will answer this for you in more detail.

I do know that getting a DDD DX is pretty common though,so I wouldn't get too stressed over that..but do you mind if I ask what surgery you had and if it was due to an injury?

A lot of people that have had hardware removed say that it's not nearly as bad as the initial operation when it was installed...lol,or put in.I myself have had hardware removal,but it was in my feet-some were just pins and months after surgery.I had a rod removed from my right heel after years of the initial op--and now that was just as painful as putting it in.

Please be patient though,it's late,but I'm certain someone will "see" you soon.
  • My surgery was for scoliosis. I'm honestly horrified of having surgery again. I was left w/o pain meds for 4 days after I had it done and now suffer from PTSD and flashbacks. I have no clue how that happened. Or how they couldn't figure out why I kept going into shock, lol. Scares me, but if that is the way this goes then I guess I'm game for it.

Thank you for your help. And you are right it is def. late and I should be heading to bed. Hopefully someone will have a similar experience. I actually got turned away by a doctor recently. He claimed that this was too complex and he would not help me? Ridiculousness.
  • Yes,A lot of Drs don't want to operate if you have already had surgery with another surgeon.They always ask why you aren't seeing the same one too,and blah blah blah,,,

Why on earth did you go for days without pain meds after spinal surgery? They would have to know why you were in shock-what were they-nuts-lol.

Geez-Don't let that happen ...please.If something is causing you pain tell someone.Once that post op pain gets out of control it can take forever to riegn in back in.It happened with me several times on the first nights of my surgeries.I couldn't take the medicine that I needed to control the pain because I wasn't tolerant and I just puked it back up.It was awful.I had to wait so long because the pharmacy was closed & couldn't get the phenergan suppositories until the next day...ugh.....
  • Mine was diagnosed from X-rays, but these may not be appropriate in your case.
  • I was 14 at the time and still in the ICU. They kept telling me it as normal to be in pain... Until 4 days later when a nurse noticed that my pain pump wasn't working. Horrible hospital mishap. I'm still seeing the people that did my surgery and I think my doctor is scared to operate on me again after all that happened. Although he does want to remove the rods. But he's still trying to find ways to find the problem w/out taking the rods out.

The pain med mishap def. put my recovery back a couple extra months tho. It was pretty rough.

There's a lot of spine they can't see properly. I'm going to talk to my neurologist about it on Tuesday and see what he has to say. He's going to give me a reference to GWU for pain management as well, so we shall see what happens. I'm having a hard time finding a pain doctor. The last one looked at me and told me that my age and being self pay made him not want to help me... No matter what my problem was. He didn't even go over my x-rays, paperwork, or mylogram :(
  • Although diagnosis with MRI and or CAT SCAN...my concern is if this is work related question. All doctors working for the company as assest injury to DDD and not work related, please be careful don't let them fool you and see a lawyer immediately.