Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

An introduction,,,

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
This looks like a place I can learn from ,feel understood ,and perhaps in time contribute to.Just now I am processing the information that long standing but non disabling back problems have progressed to the point that they are limiting my activity and that I must decide on back surgery or find an alternative.......most likely surgery will involve fusion if i choose it.I am still learning technical terms but I have had disk problems and degenerative changes in my back for fifteen years with only occasional but acute problems..now for months I have had problems with walking distances,severe muscle cramps in my legs and that wonderful padding I sit on.These cramps are distracting.Sitting hurts and since I am an artist who works on computer this discomfort is cutting into my escape from tedium,,I am feeling cornered.I had an MRI and it appears that between moderate central stenosis due to "severe " arthritis in some facet joints and a central prolapse in one disk and scoliosis (secondary to the above) I may need to consider a surgery.( This is all lumber...involving a bunch of disks including the usual L4 L5/ andL5/ S! with nerve root compression and mean sciatica,,,,....I have had epidurals in the past and I am a big fan of them but I have developed two kinds of glaucoma and steroids are contraindicated.I am still very physically active as i have a young adult son with quadriplegia who lives at home.and for home I provide much care giving....and I love physical work so I am facing significant concerns about his care as well as the growing restrictions placed on my lifestyle.I am otherwise very fit . Here to hope..stubborn hope.....oh I have a very high tolerance for pain but this has been testing my limits...currently on nsaids.....going to try a Tims (spelling ? ) unit. Peace and comfort to all

• Welcome to Spine-health! You will learn lots of information on this site about your options as far as treatment goes. feel free to join in posting any questions you may have...we a nice group of people here willing to help...take care....m
  • I think the most important tool in your arsenal is well shapened and ready to wield! your attitude. keep positive as long and as hard as possible, it goes a long way toward coping with chronic pain. Your a wonderful example of courage, taking care of your son and working.
    stay fit as long as you can. being physically cognizant, you know that the body adapts to differing levels of fitness, the longer your fit the better.
    good luck to ya and welcome to spine-health!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Have you had facet joint injections? I've had them twice and it helped some with mobility. Although I still have pain in my back or referred pain from the herniated disc. I hope you have a 2nd opinion surgeon also. Sorry about the physical work at home also and hope you can get some help with your son. You sound like a very loving Mother. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks to the above....I have never heard of facet injections before ..I will ask the doctor about that approach. I plan on getting more then one surgical opinion with regard to surgery.Living with my son has given me some perspective which helps i suppose with attitude as I can move and I know even if it hurts sometimes that freedom is a big deal. My biggest hurdle is going to be emotional ,(if you discount logistics with regard to son's care )because I tend to take too much pride in being strong and stoic.I must it seems have a slice of humble pie.I know such comes to all of us as we adapt to older bodies to some extent . For me the challenge is not about looking older but about functioning.
    One line of problem solving I am keenly interested in is adaptations..like those grabber thingies....man I would love to find one that can pull weeds..(lol).at any rate thanks again...and after I see the surgeon I'll post the specific technical terms that apply...My doctor called to discuss the MRI at which time my ability to retain any information evaporated..mostly I just heard that scary word "neurosurgeon"which ranks up there above Dentist.I am taking spouse with me to see said scary white coat... hopefully between the two of us we can actually retain some of what is said.....
    I will be reading a lot ..Thanks for being here.