Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SNRB and Trigger Point Injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone had any permanent luck with Selective Nerve Root Block and Trigger Point injections? I just had my second of three done yesterday for C4-C7 and my Trapezius muscle which is causing excruciating pain after my December surgery. I was told this pain was caused by positioning on the table and the muscles associated with the C7 disk removal. The first time I had pain relief for only four days then it all came back.

I am hoping someone has some positive info on this as I am honestly feeling this is just a money making ploy for PM doctors and the surgery centers involved. I sure hope I am entirely wrong.

• Laurie,

I have had several selective nerve root blocks. There weren't done as any type of permanent relief, rather used as a diagnostic tool to see which nerve was firing. We only did one level at a time to see what or any relief that would give. By doing this we isolated back to a nerve that had been decompressed. My surgeon was suspicious as to why the nerve was firing so once my fusion was complete he did a hardware removal. He elected in that surgery to do a three level formanitiomy as when he went back in the nerve that was dx during the selective nerve blocks was inflamed once again. So my question to you is why are they doing these blocks? What have they told you about long term relief? Another thing after the blocks, kept a journal about the pain. I took the journal back to the surgeon as he requested. I see your having issues with that level fusing as well. Is there a possibility that something is on the nerve itself? The fact that bmp was used could still be causing some inflammation as well. Although the bmp is long gone it does cause quit a bit more inflammation. Which is the primary reason for its non-approval in the cervical spine. It was used in my last fusion surgery and it took about five months for all the swelling to go down. I was actually fused before the swelling went away. However, I wasn't given any steroids following the use either.

Trigger point injections are wonderful in helping with the spasms. At least in my experience to get them some what under control. Although they hurt at first and then when the therapist messages the meds in they really help the myofacial points. The points will return but they help for awhile. I do hope you get some relief from these.
  • Hi TamTam,

Thank you so much for the reply.

My PM doctor is not doing this for any diagnosis as far as I know. He does all three levels at once and seems to think between the SNRB and TP injections that it will make the pain go away by the third time. I'm not so sure but trying whatever I can at this point. The first time I did have pain relief for a total of four days but I am not sure which caused the relief, the SNRB or TP injections. I have had BMP and PEEK used on all three of my cervical surgeries and this is the only one that has not fused and caused this much pain. I keep asking why and getting different answers. I am just taking it day by day and hoping something will take this pain away and give me my life back.

Thanks again!