Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MIcro on 2/18 nothing but walking before work

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Exercise and Rehab
hey everyone. I am 3 weeks post op and doing great. have had no significant pain since op. I am worried about the fact my doc is not talking about any PT. We have discussed going back to work April 1 which will be 6 weeks post op. Everyone i have read about here was sent to PT. I know i am feeling wonderful and walking 5 miles per day now with no pain. But i think im missing some part of recovery by only walking. It makes no sense that i am not able to lift bend twist or go to PT but i will be going from not doing anything back to be a firefighter at 6 weeks with no PT or training of any kind. I cant wait to get back to work and my doc knows this. But i dont think he would risk my back on my desire to go back to work. I thought PT was significant in proper recovery????????????

any advice anyone

• Have you mentioned your concerns about not having PT as part of your recovery???

I would talk to the doctor about it. It is great that you are walking so much without pain. :) That is wonderful.

• he doesnt think Pt is needed... The surgery went so well its hard not to believe him but i really dont want to go through this again. I know with PT i will learn to build my core and the back muscles to support my low back that i herniated. I appreciare the response. I will talk again and voice my concerns to him.
  • Your post is first in which the doctor did not recommend PT. I just received my PT referral after my first PostOp visit. PT is so important teaching exercises to strengthen and protect your core. Before my surgery I had four months of PT and it didn't wonders for me. Should not be skipped.
  • I read in an article by a neurosurgeon that he starts PT at 3 months after a fusion

I do not think early therapy is helpful. I recently had rotator cuff surgery. My doctor said no movement what-so-ever for 6 weeks -- sling tied to the body 24 hours a day except showers. Pt started at 6 weeks. My friend had the surgery, and her doctor started her stretching at 2 weeks. After one month of movement, during which I worked hard at therapy, I had full motion back. My friend did not for a year.

They say that it takes 3 months for a fusion to "set". When I have the surgery, I hope not to have therapy until it is ready.
  • When I had my first microD I had no physical therapy I did fine for 3 years. My doctor didn't think it was necessary. The disc did herniate again after 3 years but I lifted something totally wrong and was yanking at it and realized after how stupid that was so not having physical therapy had no effect on my being injured again it was a momentary laps of judgment. After my second microD now I did have physical therapy. So my doctor doesn't have people do PT after the first microD. I did ask him about it too and he said no.