Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work evaluation

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
has anyone had an evaluation done to see if you can return to the same line of work you did prior to surgery? I don't remember the exact name of the evaluation but my Physiatrist said I would need one before they release me to full duty. My original job description states i should be able to lift 60 pounds. I have already had 2 ACDF with myelopathy and doubt I can ever do this again. What is involved in this testing?? I am just curious what I am in store for. Any ideas???
thanks, Bethy

• I had a functional capacity evaluation, and have previously posted about my experience with it.

This testing is a good indicator of what one can or can't do. If you are having it, just be honest and up front about everything with them. Some people have not had good experiences, others get an accurate portrait of their abilities, or disabilities.

I found the actual testing to be okay, but the effects on my body were brutal. Good luck, and please let me know how it goes. There are several of us on here who have recently gone through this testing, so hopefully someone else will be along soon to give you more information.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Yes Cindy, thats what they called it. Thank you for the link.The physiatrist ordered it because it looks like I won't be able to lift 60 pounds. What do they do with this info.
  • I read the link and i am wondering why they would want me to do this. i am not on disability but am presently on light duty. My job has been great and has not pressured me yet to go back to full duty. I am certain that lifting 60 # again will cost me another surgery. My left arm continues to be weak from the nerve damage and shows no sign of improvement. I am really confused now why they would want this since there is no disability insurance or lawyer involved.
  • Bethy,

If your employer is not asking for this and your not worried about your job i wouldn't do it. The only reason i would submit to it is if it is building stone to provide you with more therapy and see where your at. My concern is if they certify that you won't be able to do your previous job your employer could release you on that. Also should your employer release you. You would more than likely be stuck with those restrictions for life. So before doing it i would find out exactly why he is wanting it done and the purpose. I'm not very fond of the test as I don't think unless it done over a two day period that it is very accurate either. Those or just my thoughts.