Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update- hanging in there just barely

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Matters of the Heart
So I had disappeared for a while...Living at my mom's I had to be careful with my internet usage! But not long after I had logged onto here I had found a want ad for some one who was looking for a nanny for his ten year old. I called, we met, I got the position as a live-in, which by the way, there were no computers or internet there...I worked there for a month and he came up to me and said he didn't think it was going to work out unless we tried dating! I said hell no and moved out quickly, disgusted with him and the whole situation- there was something wrong with those people, I swear, aside from his whole "date me or lose your job thing"...But I'm trying to keep this as brief as possible.

So I called my mom and told her what had happened and that I needed to move back home. She suggested that I go and speak to the man and talk to him about keeping the job, not dating him but trying to keep it and be professional. Needless to say, I didn't. Then I tell her that I need to move back home and she said that I couldn't! So, fortunately, I found a friend who was willing to take me in for a week or two...My nerves were fried and I had no idea what on God's green earth I was going to do. I had no job, the bastard I worked for only gave me $150 which wasn't even close to what we agreed on and I had to pick up a $100 prescription. Of course, social security hadn't/hasn't come through so there was no money there and my mom was keeping my unemployment to pay the credit card bill that she used to buy me things after the trial.

After a week and a half of living with my friend, he was ready for me to find another place to go for a little while-he was used to living by himself. I still had no job and very little money...I had called my lawyer to see what could be done as the insurance company appealed the decision and I have not yet received a dime from them- he said to hang in there! I hate Progressive so much it makes me ill! I also found out that there was a $2 million umbrella policy that was hidden from both my lawyer and myself. I have a meeting with him tomorrow to figure out how the heck we're going to attack that.

Fortunately at the moment, I am staying with a friend, an older lady. Her husband is in the final stages of Parkinson's and is being cared for at home. She is paying me to help her to take care of him, like when the him health person isn't there or in the evenings if she would like to go to dinner with her granddaughter, go to the mall or just get out of the house. Also since I am here at night she has some one to help her if something should happen...I am very, very grateful for this...I am also working part-time for my stepfather and have decided to start selling jewelry (I make jewelry in my spare time which I have a lot of some days) and I have some locations that are willing to sell my stuff, so that's good.

I'm still waiting on the neurosurgeon and fighting with my PM doctor. I hate being my age and in chronic pain. And while I'm grateful for a roof over my head and food to eat, I'm still super stressed! This is not my home so I don't ever seem to fully relax here. I'm fighting with the pain, still, though I had a good week last week, this week it feels like I've been run over by a truck! I don't know how to make anything any clearer to my doctor and the only thing I can do when I go in next is tell him what's going on, ask him what the heck I'm supposed to do when the pain starts to hit a 9/10 and it feels like someone is stabbing the discs and bones in my neck with a dull knife among other things, and get a butt full of steroids.

And I can see how badly I've deteriorated since the accident, so far this year I have had at least 30 days where all I can do is lay down and 60+ where I hurt so bad my eyes are burning and tearing up involuntarily...

Anyways, enough of the pain stuff, I'm just tired...I'm so close to being homeless it's scary, but hopefully I will be able to avoid that on the whole. I did lose a whole pant/dress size from all the stress as I wasn't eating or sleeping. So now I need new clothes, lol!

I hope all of you are doing well...I've been sick so I haven't been able to post or read as fast as I'd like to, but I'm working on it...And right now I have to go lay down, I feel like some one beat the heck out of me- there's a cool front moving through, oh joy!

Love to all of you and hope you're having good pain days...And if not, gentle hugs to those who aren't.

• Welcome back. I wondered where you went to. It sounds like you've had a rough time. From a parent standpoint there comes a time when we have to "cut the apron strings" and make our children stand on their own two feet, but it sure isn't easy. I don't know your situation so I'm not saying that is what is going on, but it must hurt to not be allowed to come back home. When I was 19 I had a very similar situation. I went off to Connecticut to be a nanny, hated it, was there about a month and came home. My step-father wouldn't let me back in, saying that he was finished raising me and my mom didn't fight it. I resented that for a very long time, but in looking back it was one of the best things that could have happened because I learned independence and how to persevere through difficult times.

I'm a little concerned about you doing the jewelry making with a bad neck. Please remember to take frequent breaks and do some stretching and shoulder rolls. I could see the bent over/looking down posture causing you more neck pain. It is great that you have places to market the jewelry. I wish you well, and sometimes life is tough, but we have to keep fighting.

Let me know if I can help.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. But I'm glad you have a place to stay. I was on my own at 17 and going back to my Grandparents wasn't an option. I hope you get some social benefits or save for a little place. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    I am glad you posted. Havent heard from you in a long time.
    So, now parts of your life is doing ok and parts are not exactly where you want them to be.
    Hang tough, you have been doing this for a while now.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Papa Ron- I'm sorry, I had ZERO internet access for over a month, close to two, you know how much love I have for you and others on this site!

I'm hanging- I told my lawyer yesterday (when he said that I was like that kitten in the poster) that I was hanging by one paw, lol!

I'm sorry, it seems like something is always knocking me down and I keep getting up but my strength is just waning and drained...I'm doing the best I can and do feel blessed for the kindness of the person I'm staying with otherwise, I'd be living in my car more than likely.

My lawyer had good news in that I should receive some money by the end of the year. We're also pursuing a secondary lawasuit against the insurance company with the umbrrella policy which we did not find out about until AFTER the trial! My lawyer said nothing like this has ever happened before (yes, we requested the policies but the dumba** dad said there were no other ones!), so we're focusing on the appeal which should be rejected (jury 11-1) and then going after the umbrella policy as well as Progressive for bad faith. Should be fairly easy to prove. I told my lawyer yesterday that I should thank Progressive for being so dumb and one day we'd look back at this and laugh but it wasn't going to be today.

I hope everyone is doing well and would like to ask for prayers, not for myself, but for the husband of the woman I am staying with who is in the final stages of Parkinson's...Prayers to help ease his suffering...I pray for him and touch/talk to him everyday because I know that he is not fully cognizant but having some one sitting there and rubbing your shoulder, talking to you, or stroking your hair has to make a difference...That he can feel the love emanating from me and his wife. At least, that's what I believe and prayers for him would be appreciated.

wishing you all good times and I am so glad to hear from you all....Life hasn't quite gone the way I'd like otherwise i'd have been on here more, but I should be checking in a few times a week when I can.

Sending you all love and minimal pain!
  • It breaks my heart that you've had it so tough and I hope you get your money and your own place to live in peace. I think it's wonderful what you're doing for your employer and her husband, it takes a lot of heart and sacrifice, esp. when you have your own problems to deal with. I was shocked your mother didn't let you back in, it made me mad because my mom would take me in no matter what, no questions asked. I did leave home at 19 and have been on my own kind of, living with my husband. I know you'll win your case, hang in there and keep up the fight >:D<