Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery history and Now #3 might have to come

Darleen22DDarleen22 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
2 months before my 18th birthday (July 2004), I was brought to the hospital and diagnosed with sever muscle spazums. 2 months later I was sent for an MRI and was told I had 2 herniated discs (L3-L4 AND L5-S1)and 1 bulging one (L4-L5). I was also told I had a very rear and narrow spinal canal. The spinal canal is suppost to be in the shape of a circle in a normal person and mines is in the shape of a triangle and it is rearly narrow which doesnt leave much room for the flow when theres discs pushing into it. I had an epideral shot with cordizon in october 2004. It did not help at all!

the pain stayed about the same for almost a year. Then it began to slowly get worse and worse. I went to physical therapy but didnt get relieve, tryed accupuncture but had to stop due to my muscle spazums. In 2006, I started seeing a chiropractor for a treatment machine called the DRX 9000, which helped me for about 2 months. I was standing straighter, sleeping better, and was able to be more moble. But after a while something felt like it changed and then the machine didnt help anymore it started to cause me pain instead of relieveing it I stoped the treatments and just had adjustments that were releving the pain for only a few hours.

I started getting a worse and worse through out the year. In Dec 2006 I went for an MRI that showed that disc L4-L5 had ruptured and was pushing against my spinal cord and nerves. I went to see a 3rd nerosurgeon in Dec 2006 who told me what everyother doctor had told me my back was going to get worse all by its self and I need surgery. I was 20 years old and a month later I had to have emergancy surgery. I had lost all warning sensation and control of my bladder and bowelmovements. I had also lost all sensation in my right leg from the knee down. He cleaned up the ruptured disc and decompressed the other 2 herniated discs.

Before my surgery I was shifting to the left so much i looked like a ?, I was also leaning foward at almost a 45 degree angle. The day after the surgery I was standing so straight my doctor did a double take and didnt even know it was me, he was so shocked he didnt expect me to straighten up so fast, he thought it would take a few weeks. I was doing so much better after, I thought I was good. About 7 months after my surgery I began having pain again. I had another MRI a month later that showed the same disc l4-l5 had rutured again. I had to have surgery 9 months to the day of my 1st surgery to repair the ruptured disc. I was diagnosed with nerve damage shortly after that.

I thought I was good and was even planning on starting a family in a year or so. I began to have really bad leg pains in july of 08 and thought it was due to the nerve damage I had 3 nerve blocker shots earlier in the year with no results. The pain began to get worse in November 2008 and by January I knew something was wrong, I had started to get similar symptoms that I had had before my surgeries. I went for an MRI and found out that my L5-S1 disc and bulging, My doctor told me that if I can live with the pain and its not disturbing my life then to continue, but if not then i would need surgery again and this time the only option would be a fusion. he said Im young and he wants to avoid he having a fusion so young if he could. I love the doctor I have he is one that will not operate on a patient unless he feels its nessary and he will straight up and honest with his patients he doesnt play around.

I dont know what to do, I am 22 years old and I have noticed that in the last few weeks I am getting worse and worse. I am spending more time in bed, not able to do daily activities such as wash dishes, even standing up to brush my teeth causes pain and discomfort. I have even started to lean forward and shift to the left again. On top of all this I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease back in september and have been battleing to get into remission since then. I had to have the steriods changed and mg brought up and down, I have even had to start a new Crohns treatment called remicade which is a 3 hour long IV fusion treatment. Between the nerve damage pain, back pain, muscle spazums that take from my waist to my neck, and leg/feet pain and coldness I dont know what to do. I want to avoid surgery for as long as I can, but I dont think that is going to be very long. It is 2am right now I am awake due to pain, my right knee is twice its side and is causing so much pain. I have have all the muscles in my back to neck tense its hurts to move or even type, thank god Im so good at typing fast... lol

I am scared to have a fusion. The limitations I have heard from having one is scary. I am only 22year old and have my whole life ahead of me. I have already 2 surgeries under my belt, nerve damage, and Crohn's disease. I am scared that I would not be able to carry kids which is something that I have always dreamed about experianceing. I have had to give up so much in my short life, It would hurt to much and be to hard to have to give that up also.

For those women who have had fusions in their back (lower back), were you able to carry a full term pregnancy if so did you have to be on bed rest, or have really bad leg and back pains??? If someone with this experiance can answer this for me I would greatly appreciate it!

September 2004--> found out I had 2 herniated discs (L3-L4 & L5-S2), and 1 bulging disc (L4-L5).

October 2004--> Epideral shot with cordazone

December 2006--> MRI shows disc L4-L5 rutured and is pushing against spinal cord and nerves.

January 24, 2007--> Had to have emergancy surgery

September 2007--> MRI shows disc ruptured again and is pushing against nerves and spinal cord.

October 24, 2007--> Had to have 2nd sugery.

February 16, 2009--> MRI shows disc L5-S1 is bulging.

• Darleen and welcome to the forum. I have not had lower back surgery but I at least wanted to pop in and welcome you to our online community. I also want you to know that you are not alone , we are all here with you and will do whatever we can to help and support you. The members here are all amazing , the best around so you are in great company.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do and what ever the future may hold for you. If there is ever anything that I can help you with then please do not hesitate to just let me know. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and what is going on.....take care....Miki
  • Thank you Miki.

I really appriciate it. I will keep you all posted and I wanted to wish you the best of luck on your health. Hope you feel better.