Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

intrathecal pain pump

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello all,

My name is Hutch and to put it short, I have been dx with chronic pain secondary to severe denerative disc desease, facet arthropathy (bony overgrowth of facet joints along the entire spine) I also have multiple degenerative changes along my lumbar spine. Since I can still walk with the use of pain meds and probably so without, (i'd be in horrendous pain however)I am considering an intrathecal pain pump.I have acquired very much anxiety with my dx. Sitting for extended periods increases pain and stiffness, as well as standing. Even with the use of meds which include: fetanyl patch 100mcgs, percocet 5mgs for breakthru pain, soma and neurontin as needed,zanax and transodone for sleep. My life is that of low quality which leads to the depression/anxiety. The more active I am, so is the increase in pain. I prefer not to have a multilevel fusion due to all of the degerative changes in my spine, however I shall receive one more opinion. Doctor number 1 imdicated that he could perform a multilevel fusion, L-3-S-1. However Doctor number 2 indicated that if I have that surgery, I will be in worse pain. (very confused)

Im anyone's opinion, would an intrathecal pain pump be effective for me until stem cell implantation is available?
The stem cell implantation that I refering to involves a person's own stem cells not embroyonic. My life is a struggle with alot of anxiety as I mentioned above. Please submit any information in my message box, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all,

• I think you need more opinions. How long have you had pain that stopped your activities? I would get 2 more Orthos or Neurosurgeon opinions if I were you. If 2 Drs disagree you need more opinions. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. Chronic pain has been with me just over a year. And I've only had 2 opinions and both nixed me for surgery because they don't understand the crossover of my pain so no one will touch me. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.