Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice bone on bone at C5/C6

candle99ccandle99 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've recently been through an ALIF on my L4/L5 and then in Dec. last year had to have revision PLIF on L3/L5 with 6 screws. Was at home for 9 weeks. Upon returning to work and my usual routine, my neck has been killing me...shoulders, arms really really sore. I'm a programmer so I sit 8 hours a day and have an hour drive to and from work. While I was part time, it wasn't so bad, but now at full time, I'm hurting pretty bad and am back to taking the muscle relaxers and Lortab 7.5's again.

I went back to my NS and he gave me a prednisone pack and said I had muscle strain. That worked while I was taking it for the 6 days. Now two weeks later, I've went to a chiropractor. I know alot of people don't believe in them, but I thought he might help with the muscle knots and pain. After seeing my xrays yesterday, I'm bone on bone at the C5/C6 level at the front and it was bright white, like it's trying to fuse. There's a little space towards the back where the facets are. I also had two long bone spurs coming from the middle of C5 and C6 (xrays were from the side view). He thinks he can align me better and relieve some of the pain. Right at the base of my skull, my C1 was right next to the skull, no space there at all. Maybe there isn't supposed to be much anyway?

I'm not showing any weakness or numbness yet in my hands or arms, only pain. My hands do go sleep sometimes at night, but not every night. I am having massive headaches and my neck is so uncomfortable I can hardly concentrate. Feels like my shoulders and the blades are knotted and won't release. I'm miserable at work.

My question is should I let the chiropractor try his thumper and do adjustments or should I just insist my NS do an MRI before I go any further. The chiro guy didn't seem like a quack, but said I wasn't a candidate for surgery. I was thinking bone on bone wasn't good and probably needed a fusion??? I don't want to have any surgery right away, but I also don't want to end up paralyzed or have more problems caused from the chiro deal. Am I being too worrywart over this?

• Get it checked out. If you have any doubts, questions or concerns, before you let anyone make any adjustments, I'd think it would be prudent to investigate it a little further.

Just my opinion.

• Just my thought but I would not let a chiro touch my neck if it looked like that on an xray. You might want to go back to the neurosurgeon and let him get an MRI of that area. Again this is just my thought.

• I think I would get another opinion before more damage gets done. I have nothing against Chiros, but bone on bone isn't a good thing. Just my thougtht.

• Well in my experience with Chiropractors (no ill-will towards them) they are there to release specific muscle to tendon to bone pain. If the Chiro even thought you needed an X-Ray that tells me that there should be a trained doctor involved. I have had neck and between the shoulder pain for 15 years. I have only gone to the Chiropractor as a LAST resort when my pain meds could not do the trick. I have never seen the same Chiropractor more than twice for the simple fact that it was always for immediate relief. Half of the Chiropractors would not even touch me when I told them I had a past neck injury at the C5/C6 location. The other half performed adjustments. I had a DEX scan (radio-isotope) done 6 months ago to look for damage. None was seen. 5 months ago I went to a Chiropractor near me and told him my past history of a neck injury. After the adjustment I could not stand up, I had to be helped to the car. Since then I have had more neck problems than ever before. I just came home from the ER this evening and the CT scan showed complete degenerative disc damage that was not there 6 months ago. I have to goto neuro-surgery in the morning.

I'm beginning to think that the violent adjustment this gung-ho ex-Navy Seal Chiropractor performed on me actually caused the current damage I am in. When I told the ER doctor (who's specialty happened to be Spine Trauma) that I had had a recent adjustment, he asked if I were crazy for allowing anyone to do adjustments to me with a C5-C6 injury. So in retrospect I would say that Chiropractics is dangerous if you even have the slightest of back or neck injury. I now think that Chiro should be reserved for the absolute healthy people who just have pulled something and need a quick fix. Those of us with damage should never go to Chiro.