Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

slow going recovery

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had fusion on C 4/5 9 weeks ago. My recovery is going quite slow. This was my 3rd cervical fusion, after the first 2 I was back to work in 6 to 8 weeks. At this point I am only about 50% better. My neck/shoulder are in severe pain every morning, and continue to be painful all day. I still have alot of pain in my arm, and my thumb/index fingertips are still numb. These are not new symptoms so I don't think there is something "new" going on. I am worried about permanent nerve damage though. I felt MUCH better than this after my 1st 2 fusions. This time the herniation was deforming my spinal cord but I had surgery within 4 months of the onset. Can damage happen that quickly? I already have permanent nerve damage that effects my R foot, I'd be very upset to find out I also have permanent damage in my neck. Help!?! Am I just not being patient enough? Will I take alot longer to heal because my spinal cord was involved? Any replies or info would be appreciated.

Faith M

• Faith,
    If nerves are compressed they can take a long time to decompress, my OS and NS told me it can take 3 years for things to heal. I am not a doctor but in my case the spinal cord damage happened within a month of my injury, most of my symptoms are permanent, numbness in left hand/fingers, loss of balance and a few other nagging symptoms. Things take time to heal, perhaps you could mention your symptoms to your doctor and see what he thinks. Good luck.

• I have nerve compression for 6 months, loss of balance, numbness etc etc.
    Cause was removed 6 months ago and symptoms are pretty much the same.
    I have learnt that seems recovery can take years but how you are at 12 months is likely to be how you stay.

Check out the work on www.chirogeek.com
    Hehas reviewed several papers on nerve damage and average duraion for recovery etc.

I hope you continue to get better albeit slowly!