Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain and House bound at 27!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
I have suffered with back pain since an accident 10years ago caused bulging on L3 disk. It has gotten gradully worse over the years, despite trying lots of conservative treatment (Physio, chirapractice, acupuncture, back specific exercise programmes, numerous drug combinations)

The disk herniated/prolapsed in January 2009, and the pain has increased hugely! I lost feeling down my left leg and the nerve pain prevented me sitting or lying (I had to sleep stood up, agaist a wall, wedged in the corner of the room!) I have a Gastro Intestinal Bleed from being on so many narcotics and anti imflamatories.

After hospital admission and a series of scaral epidural injections, the pain hasnt improved. I cant walk (only hobble around the house with a crutch!) and Im housebound, off work as a teacher long term and with zero quality of life!

Have made the decision to have a decompression/discetomy. It will go ahead this month as an emergency case. Don't have any other options left open to me!

Will be posting regularly, seeing as my life currently is sat in my recliner with my laptop!

x :-)
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there and welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain and to be so disabled at such a young age is unthinkable. I'm glad you're going to get surgery - sounds like it's your only choice and I hope it gives you the relief you need.

Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Cath
  • Hi and welcome to the site, that sucks your in so much pain hopefully the surgery will help you out .
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your surgery. :? good luck as you seek pain relief. :D keep us informed of your progress! Jenny :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your surgery. :? good luck as you seek pain relief. :D keep us informed of your progress! Jenny :)
  • Hey Bad Back Bun...you sure do sound similar to me. Aside from the way I was injured,I don't know, just that I was in pain for 2 years (not 10...I feel your pain for suffering for that long) before I had the numbness/muscle weakness in left leg, couldn't walk or sit or do anything without really that didn't cause so much pain it brought me to my knees in tears wishing I would just die so I didn't have to experience it again. The left side of my left leg was in so much pain it felt like it was on fire every step I would take, every cough, every sneeze...OMG it was HELL.

I am 2 weeks post op....L5/S2 discectomy and laminectomy and upon waking from surgery the pain was GONG, aside from some lvl 2's that on the scale of 1-10 where I was 9-10 most of the time, 2's are WONDERFUL in my opinion. I most definitely encourage the surgery to relieve yourself of the pain. I was so scared, couldn't afford to take time from work, no paid time off, but I did it anyway. I am so glad I did...I can actually have a life again.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks for all your great replies..nice to know on these long, boring, painful days sat alone in my house that there are others in the same situation as me!

Actually looking forward to the op now as I just want some progress! I've been in for my pre-assessment, and had my bloods tested and cross matched incase I need a transfusion during the op, so all ready to go now, just waiting for the telephone call to say to go in! I checked out the surgery forum last week, and looked at the list of things to get... found that except baggy tracksuit bottoms that come up over where my wound will be, I actually have everything on the list; suppose when you've had back trouble for so long you gradually end up using all these things such as straws to drink from cups whilst lying down!

Will post again when I have a definate date (If I have time; think as Ive had my pre-assessments it might be a telephone call and immediate admission then and there- only live 2miles from the hospital)

Im also lucky, unlike Self-Medicate, that Im a teacher in the UK; we get very good full paid sickness leave (depending on time served in the profession)- It sounds terrible that you had to have your last op unpaid - however you now have your life back again - eactly what Im looking foward to!

Hayley
advertisement