Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovering - all the little niggles

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op from a double acdf. Think i'm doing ok but beginning to have some doubts... After my op, I had no pain when i woke up in the arm and neck... and pain post op was exactly what they warned me about... I know recovery takes time; but what i don't know is how worried should i get about all the niggles as i call them... For example i occasionally get the old pain across my shoulder and down my right arm :SS (the frequency is increasing as is the amount of pain i get when it happens); and the muscle spasms have kicked in... my doc only wants to prescribe muscle relaxers for 1 more week :S .... and i have a sneaky feeling these muscle spasms are not going to disappear by then... just getting a bit worried that the op wasn't as successful as i first thought... but i don't know whats normal in recovery or how long it takes for the old nerve pain to settle down... or does it??? :''( on a positive note... at least the pain isn't as bad as it
was!!! lol O:)
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• Hi Diamonde. You are still VERY early in your recovery so don't worry too much. The nerves take time to recover and the back spasms are very common. So is a dull achy pain on the back side of your neck. I question the doc stopping your muscle relaxers so soon - I'm 5 months out and my doc is still prescribing them for me, as well as pain meds. I don't need them as frequently as I did before, but my doc seems to understand how long this process takes.

It's way too early for you to think that your surgery was unsuccessful. Give yourself time - things should get much better. And talk to your doc about those muscle relaxers!

Take care and no BLT! Oh, and by the way, are you wearing a collar?
  • I have only had lumbar surgeries but I imagine this applies to cervical ones, too. Before they close you up, the area is irrigated with a steroid that helps to keep inflammation down and everything is bathed with a type of pain medication. The theory is that by the time this wears off, the very worst of the surgical pain is over.

So what happens with many of us is that we feel pretty good for about the first ten days to two weeks, and then we start to become aware of little pains and aches and sensations we hadn't noticed immediately after surgery. We usually all panic and think we have done something to cause this to happen -- have we re-injured, re-herniated, etc? Usually not! It is a combination of the nerves starting to recover from the trauma of the surgical process, and the wearing off of the meds used during surgery.

Follow your surgeon's directions for recovery and develop patience. Learn to accept things as they come and do not try to rush the process. It can take a LONG time for nerves to recover. In general, the healing process takes much longer than any of us thinks it should.

Good luck and try to stay positive.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    You are still so new out of post-op. The entire recovery process takes time. Its impossible to give anyone a "How long it should be", because there are so many variables involved.
    But as what I say to anyone here who is post op:

- Be Patient, it all takes time
    - Adhere to ALL limitations and restrictions
    - Do not overdo anything
    - Listen to your body, when something doesnt seem right, write it down
    - You will have Good days and you will have Bad days
    - You will find pains/aches/etc in spots you never had before
    - Remain positive
    - And if you doubt these, read them over again and again

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • :/ I have never heard that word before. Hmmph. Learned something new.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008