Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ice & Cryo Cuff Treatment

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Alternative Treatments
I am considering investing in a Cryo Cuff and Cooler to help with my back pain. I have found cold (eg frozen peas!) to help at present, much better than a heat pack. I am awaiting an operation in march for a discetomy and decompression on my lumber spine.

I was wondering if anyone else has invested in one of these or a similar unit and whether they found them to be worth the big investment (they are far from cheap!)

Looking foward to your replies! :-)

• The little ice chest gizmo? If so I got mine from the hospital when I had my shoulder replacement surgery.
    Very cool little gizmo indeed. A small ice chest with circulation pump, hoses with disconnects and the wrap that is shaped like an H to allow it to be wraped and velcro'd to the area in need.
    I had to wear mine for 10 days solid, then off and on for the next month when pain and swelling warranted its use.
    They are indeed a very handy item as it will stay cold much longer then a standard ice pack. You want to be very careful you do not freeze your body part in need of the cold!
    Sorry I can't help you on the cost, since it was billed out through my hospital stay to my insurance I can only assume it was not cheap at all.

Let us know what you find out. I'm sure there are others here that can benefit from one.
  • Hi Rambler,

Thanks for your reply... your description matches the system of a Cryo Cuff that I'm looking at. They ars supposedly good for pain relief and lessening the amount of meds you need to take; a great result for me as I currently have a gastro-intestinal bleed from taking so many meds orally!
    They are available to buy off the internet (from online physio supplies stores & even ebay) for around £100 (GB Pounds Stirling) which initially seems like a big investment, but if long term helps me wean myself off the meds (have addictive shakes when next due my morphine at the moment :-( ) then its a small price to pay!

Unfortunately my hospital doesn't loan them out post op, wish they did though!